Harman Exhaust Blower Gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daffonce

Jan 23, 2013
I have always found it weird that my harman xxv didn't have an exhaust blower gasket. It seems odd to me, you have to silicone the whole exhaust system that is inside your house. The nipple that attaches to the stove has a gasket. but the exhaust blower has nothing. Is it because it is considered to be under negative pressure? i mean it is a metal to metal mate, if anything isn't perfectly flat or perfectly sized you will get a leak. if the blower mounting area is under negative pressure your blower could be pulling room air through the potentially drafty exhaust blower mounting area, instead of pulling it through the combustion chamber. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Anyone ever make a gasket for their harman?

the firebox IS under negative pressure or the stove wont feed.
A QUALITY pipe doesn't need RTV at every joint (ICC)
gasketing touching the shaft of the motor could adversely affect the operation of said motor
the amount of air pulled by the shaft is negligible compared to the air pulled thru the 2-3/8"-3" intake nipple (depends on model year of stove)
and last, but not least, modifying your unit can void the warrantee and/or UL listing.

I was thinking about the shaft, the bearings are press fit so they should be pretty tight. I was refering to the monting of the whole exhast blower to the stove itself. it is a big 4-5" diameter flange, metal to metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.