harman feed speed on room temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ramdez

Dec 29, 2009
eastern PA
I've been reading up on feed speed and all of the discussions begs this question. If the feed rate knob is a 'maximum' and the computer will slow the feed down as needed regardless... y not just set it to the highest and let the computer idle it back as necessary? I understand that on stove temp guys want to regulate things using the feed rate but if on room temp you're only limiting the speed y not open the valve and let the computer do the rest as needed?

ramdez said:
I've been reading up on feed speed and all of the discussions begs this question. If the feed rate knob is a 'maximum' and the computer will slow the feed down as needed regardless... y not just set it to the highest and let the computer idle it back as necessary? I understand that on stove temp guys want to regulate things using the feed rate but if on room temp you're only limiting the speed y not open the valve and let the computer do the rest as needed?

thats is sound logic, and it works. there is no downside to placing the feed adjuster knob to 6 and ignoring it, in either mode.

Thank you. Only 1 more thing comes to mind now that i'm mulling over it. i read that some people want to move the fire in the burn pot out or in to get different results. is there any benefit to this?

in my opinion, not so much. some people just gotta tinker though, so don't discourage them ;-)

This is my opinion only

It all depends on the pellets you are using. If the pellet's are smaller in diameter and shorter than some, you may end up pushing burning pellet's over the burnpot edge since you will be dropping more for the time the auger runs . I run my XXV on feed rate of #5. You just have to watch and make sure (your) pellet's are not going over the edge on fire, if not than I would say you would be ok on #6. Alot of people think that with feed set on 2 or 3 they will use less fuel but, according to the tech that was here it is the opposite. It makes sense that you need enough fuel to be able to sustain the flame when the control board, or room sensor is calling for high heat to satisfy the room temp you have it set to. If there is not enough fuel to burn at the high rate it will never satisfy room temp to go into the low burn maintenance mode, it will always be trying to satisfy the room temp instead an using more pellet's. Well that is my 2 pennies worth................

I set my feed rate on 4 and leave it.

I've never needed to feed more pellets than that.

Those who set the feed rate for 2 or 3 are really limiting the horsepower of the stove.

goatman-68 said:
This is my opinion only

It all depends on the pellets you are using. If the pellet's are smaller in diameter and shorter than some, you may end up pushing burning pellet's over the burnpot edge since you will be dropping more for the time the auger runs . I run my XXV on feed rate of #5. You just have to watch and make sure (your) pellet's are not going over the edge on fire, if not than I would say you would be ok on #6. Alot of people think that with feed set on 2 or 3 they will use less fuel but, according to the tech that was here it is the opposite. It makes sense that you need enough fuel to be able to sustain the flame when the control board, or room sensor is calling for high heat to satisfy the room temp you have it set to. If there is not enough fuel to burn at the high rate it will never satisfy room temp to go into the low burn maintenance mode, it will always be trying to satisfy the room temp instead an using more pellet's. Well that is my 2 pennies worth................

What is your temp dial set at? This will determine of course how much feed. In room temp mode when demand is high the feeder will feed for the max amount of time on and min amount of time off. I think the max is 40 on 20 off .

ironically when i went home lastnight my stove was off with the error code that i've seen 2 times now with these pellets. after shutting down it fails to light in the required 36 minute window and then just sits there. i turned the feed speed up to 5 and lastnight it looked like it was roaring pretty well. for the first 30 minutes however even with a 30 degree different in temp/thermostat i couldn't get the flames higher than 3" but then i played a bit and put it on stove temp and the flames got higher.. after about 30 minutes on stove temp i put it back to thermostat and it looked like it was cruising. i'm not happy w/ these pellets :( i think i'm going back to barefoot after this batch... cool looking bag tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.