Harman, few drops oil on floor ??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iron stove

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2009
Central CT
Have put a dozen or so bags of pellets through the stove. Took the back covers off today to clean up some spilled pellets, and found some red oil on the floor below the convection blower. I ddidnt notice anything on the blower. Maybe its from up higher ?

Any experts know what this is from ?

Harmanoil017.jpg

Harmanoil016.jpg

Is there a twin further in from that spot?

If so it looks like you are leaking your bearing/bushing lubricant.

Perhaps the oil ports are upside down. Take a mirror and check.

Not something I'd want to see.

Where would the oil ports be ?

I dont feel any oil on the housing. Could it have just been extra that dripped off on first heat cycles ?

iron stove said:
Where would the oil ports be ?

I dont feel any oil on the housing. Could it have just been extra that dripped off on first heat cycles ?

With a mirror look right below the motor above the drops on the floor. If the ports are upside down the oil can drip out and there wouldn't have to be anything on the housing.

I had the same thing happen to me a couple years ago and was told by my dealer to not worry about it. It didn't happen again. I don't remember the explanation.

Does your convection blower make a buzzing sound by any chance? If the oil ports are in fact draining oil, could this cause the buzzing type noise that I hear? The buzzing at certain fan speeds is my biggest annoyance with my P61 so far.

I don't doubt that newf lover.

I also had the same thing on one of my blower motors and the blower got replaced, bearing seal failure.

That is why I'm asking the questions I am.

I cant see any ports. But all the writing for the motor is on Top of the motor.

I have a call in to my dealer. But today is Veterans day, so i figure a answer will take a while.

iron stove said:
I cant see any ports. But all the writing for the motor is on Top of the motor.

I have a call in to my dealer. But today is Veterans day, so i figure a answer will take a while.

The motor could also be a sealed bearing unit which wouldn't have oil ports. I always try to verify what is actually on the unit.

Did you look at anything else directly above that area?

Yes. I bet its a sealed unit, since I cant see the shaft. I can see the auger unit, and it uses some sort of Blue greese, so not that. Im thinking it was just a few extra drops that ran out once it twas heated up. I will wait for the dealer callback though.

Yeah it's a sealed unit. All of the motors on your stove are sealed.

Dealer called today, and they think its a bad seal on the circulator fan :( They will have a new replacement this week.

Im seriously thinking of replacing it myself, so I get familiar with the workings for the future. he said its only a few bolts, 15 min job.

Another update. While taking pictures for dealer, I found a second oil leak, from the Auger gearbox. Both will be replaced under waranty soon. Dealer will come down to do the warranty work, and give the stove a once over. I bet this was a Hangover Monday stove........

Sounds like you have a good dealer!

iron stove said:
Another update. While taking pictures for dealer, I found a second oil leak, from the Auger gearbox. Both will be replaced under waranty soon. Dealer will come down to do the warranty work, and give the stove a once over. I bet this was a Hangover Monday stove........

Yikes, what's up with that stove?. Glad you have a good dealer too. Did he give any reason for the auger motor failure? Wishing you the best of luck on getting everything straightened out.

PJPellet said:
iron stove said:

Yikes, what's up with that stove?. Glad you have a good dealer too. Did he give any reason for the auger motor failure? Wishing you the best of luck on getting everything straightened out.

The auger ddidnt fail. I was checking how easy it would be to swap out the fan, and i was shining a flashlight, when I spotted dark oil running down the front of the gear box. First though, maybe just sloppy install. But after analysis, they want to replace it.

And heres a photo, glad I was looking around.

Harmanoil004.jpg

Yeah that's good they are going to replace that too. It doesn't look good. Sorry about the confusion there with the auger motor. When I am reading and posting here it is with a 2 year old running around screaming, and a 3 month old, and the wife trying to talk to me all at the same time. Wouldn't have it any other way though. :) Keep us posted.

the gearbox is packed with a goodly amount of grease....sometimes the lighter portions separate out and seep....usually stops in a bit....the gearbox IS NOT loaded with oil.....just grease

Id let him know before he shows up. Thats a small drop, mine is much larger, and was even partly soaked up by several pellets.

UPDATE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many thanks to Brian @ www.blazinghotstoves.com for coming to my house this week and fixing my stove. All issues have been fixed, and sove is up and running.

I would have thanked them sooner, but 4 days without any internet, tv or phone. AT&T is a Bear to deal with......

Status
Not open for further replies.