Harman floor protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rcook430

Burning Hunk
Jan 4, 2015
Ashland Ky
Getting a P43 soon. In the Harman pamplet it list the minimum floor protection for each model. The P61 and P68 floor protection are listed at 24 x28 while the P43 is listed at 32 x33. With the P43 being much smaller than the P68 and P61 why would the floor protection be so much bigger. I was going to by a floor protector tomorrow but wasnt sure on this.

Welcome! All kinds of new people from KY. I have a PC45 and P68 so my floor protection specs may differ and I also have stone tile floors so I don't need one.

Which pamphlet are you read? Have you gone to Harmans sight to look up what the P43 needs. It is a smaller unit than the others indeed so the bigger pad makes little sense.

OK, I think you have the Harman P Series brochure. I see where that is goofy on pad sizes. What you want to do is add 6" on sides, 6" on front, and 6" on rear.

NOTE: Refer to the installation manual pg. 10 Fig. 3.3 These measurements are taken from different locations on the stove.

On the bright side most floor protection pads come in sizes pretty standard so you will be covered if you check the manual and size bigger. I think they list minimum pad sizes and most are larger than that. The install manual says 32 1/2" wide x 33" deep for the P43 so use that and make sure you are covered.

Actually after you add the requirements to the larger stoves the pads are bigger. It's a little deceptive or not clear IMO.

Go online and check out the installation manual and you can see what I'm talking about.

Yeah I figured 6" all around was correct but in the P series pamplet the P43 requires a larger pad than the bigger stoves. I was wondering if it was a mistake or I wasnt reading it right.

It looks like someone F'ed up the manual. the P43 appears to be correct according to my calculations. The P61 and P68 appear just to have the stove size as the pad size instead of adding the 6" to each side.

It looks like someone F'ed up the manual. the P43 appears to be correct according to my calculations. The P61 and P68 appear just to have the stove size as the pad size instead of adding the 6" to each side.
That's what I was getting at. They do not give exact pad sizes and the 61 is bigger than the 43 and the 68 bigger than the 61. Might be some kind of liability thing. Who knows? What it does offer is the places to measure from and add the 6" so to get your minimum pad size you need to do some simple math addition.

That said I think most pads are bigger than these minimums anyway. Never paid much attention because I knew I would not need one for either stove.

What is jacked up is how it reads giving a supposed size for the 43 and whatever they are doing for the others. IMO the Harman manuals although somewhat informative are a joke. One being they do not include many things I feel they should. #2 is that they are just some cheap copies with a staple or two in place. I don't think putting some type of cover on them would break the bank. I went to Office Depot and got a $1.29 plastic binding cover and three hole punched mine to keep it in tact. As much as you should read and refer to them they sure aren't up to the task in that regard.

My older PC45 made before Harman was taken over by HHT does have a cover on the manual. Not much but way better than what came with the brand new 68.

Last edited:
What is jacked up is how it reads giving a supposed size for the 43 and whatever they are doing for the others. IMO the Harman manuals although somewhat informative are a joke

I've noticed this when reading the P43/61/68 manual. Basically they figured out a way to exempt the 61 & 68 from EPA testing, thus they don't feel compelled to include certain information - i.e. output BTUs, efficiency, pad sizes etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.