Harman heat output? different behavior last night

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

movemaine

Minister of Fire
Nov 28, 2011
Central Maine
movemaine.com
So last night here in Maine, it was pretty cold (probably a decent amount of heat loss happening).

For most of the season, I almost always run my Harman Accentra on stove temp - keep it throwing heat to heat the back bedrooms.

But last night, I didn't feel like the Harman was throwing out enough heat with stove temp. So I cranked up the stove temp dial to 6- didn't feel like it made much of a difference. I took a meat thermometer just to have some sort of indicator and put it in the blower grate and let it sit there for half an hour.

Then I put the stove on room temp, and the heat output was higher.

WTH?

I thought I understood the ins & outs of my Harman, but this threw me for a little bit of a loop

Maybe the fan speed was higher when it was in room temp. mode. Did you have the fan speed all the way on high when in stove temp. for a fair comparison?

Absolutely. I had the stove temp on high - same as in room temp.

I've been heating my house during this recent cold spell in Stove mode as well, and I was aound a 3 heat setting the whole time. I can't imagine heat setting 6.

30 degrees out here not that cold but i also run my insert on stove temp and have the fan speed on med or low and keep the temp at 60 and my ranch house is usually around 72 degrees and go through 1 bag of pellets a day i have tried room temp but no thermostat and felt there was less heat comming from the stove on the same settings as when on stove mode i agree with hose the hermit that they are women lol

Update.

I pulled the stove and did a full cleaning (when in doubt). I opened the fines box and it was packed full and solidified ( I must have missed it at my last year end cleaning - whoops).

So cleaned that all out and oiled up the moving parts.

Now stove temp appears to be better.

Question, would a full fines box really impact stove temp performance?

Oh she's really hot!

Status
Not open for further replies.