Harman ignitor premature burnout issue. What is the cause? What is the fix? ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Working on a 7 year old Harman Advanced with the older chain drive. The stove works fine, but is going thru ignitors like water! ! ! What is up with this? Failing every 3 months!
Are the power company lines zapping the stove?

Here is the 1st one replaced
Ignitor Failed 01/018/2014
Ignitor Installed on 10/01/2013

Here is the second one, I just replaced.
Ignitor Failed 03/27/2014
Ignitor Installed on 01/018/2014

This last time we had an extreemly windy day and I am sure there were power line fluctuations. No big surges to blow the control panel but the glass fuse on the circuit board was really cooked.

Both of these blown ignitors happened with the stove plugged into a very inexpensive Belkin surge protector. Only protects 900 joules
See > http://www.belkin.com/us/BSQ100-Belkin/p/P-BSQ100;jsessionid=47BED650231F0701FD2316601E76B5BB/

After installing the new ignitor today, I installed a Tripp Lite Ultrablock surge protector. Protects 1410 Joiles and has EMI/RFI interference filtering.
See > http://www.tripplite.com/sku/ULTRABLOK/

Will it help? See pics below.

Attachments

• HarmanIgnitor.JPG
    HarmanIgnitor.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 221
  • HarmanFuse.JPG
    HarmanFuse.JPG
    98.7 KB · Views: 170
  • BelkinSurge.jpg
    BelkinSurge.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 176
  • ULTRABLOK428.jpg
    ULTRABLOK428.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 150
My friends quad needed a new igniter. Just about the same time his dad needed one too. The stoves were 2 seasons old at the time. They put a lower wattage one in and has lasted a long time. I wanna say the stock was a 1500 watt and the new one was 1250. (I do not recall the specific numbers) The stove shop told him that the 1500s were burning themselves out.

Also make sure yours is turning off as it should.

Hello

I did notice that the ash pan was full and overflowing. The burnpot was never raked like the Harman DVD shows to do every day. The burnpot air holes had clumps of ash covering them.
The fire door glass was covered with ash.
I did however remove the burn pot bottom cover and there was not much ash in there to block air flow to the ignitor.

Could this wear out the ignitor sooner?

Its possible. The lack of air flow may cause a delay in ignition which will cause the ignitor to stay on longer than needed.

Its possible. The lack of air flow may cause a delay in ignition which will cause the ignitor to stay on longer than needed.

Good point and that made me think of something else!

I recently replaced a combustion blower in an older Harman Advance. The customer told me after a couple of weeks that the glass stayed much cleaner longer. There is now an upgraded blower that increases the amperage from 1.5 to 1.75 amps. I bet that will fix it ! ! !

Good point and that made me think of something else!

I recently replaced a combustion blower in an older Harman Advance. The customer told me after a couple of weeks that the glass stayed much cleaner longer. There is now an upgraded blower that increases the amperage from 1.5 to 1.75 amps. I bet that will fix it ! ! !
It may help.but the true fix is take the stove away from customer that does not maintain it.

It may help.but the true fix is take the stove away from customer that does not maintain it.

LOL, The stove has been there for 7 years so that is not an option. However this does prove Harmans are the best! :)

LOL, The stove has been there for 7 years so that is not an option. However this does prove Harmans are the best! :)
And when my cadillac customers whined about repairs I would tell them "sorry you could not afford the mercedes'.;lol

Status
Not open for further replies.