Harman Invincible Battery Back Up options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

corokell

Jan 2, 2018
United States
Hello,
We have a Harman Invincible T Pellet stove. It is in great condition and we have had no issues with most things. However we live in New England and with this -15+ degree temperatures we are having frequent power outages. Which is causing our house to fill up with smoke horribly. With two kids in the house and my asthma and this happening more then a couple times in the last week we were looking into battery back up to not have this happening. We have found a ton of information and options for battery back ups but it seems they are all for stoves 2010 and newer. Does anyone know if anything will work for us? We just need the smoke to exit the house. We already had one huge scare where it was billowing so bad after a middle of the night power outage and all the alarms going off. While we learned my kids no what to do in case of a fire and exited the house quickly it was a scare we don't want to have again.

Yes, you need an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). I'd recommend a pure sine wave UPS such as APC Smart UPS 750. If the power goes out you'll still need to start a shutdown of the stove but you'll have enough battery backup in the UPS for it to shutdown completely without a smokeout.

Yes, you need an uninterruptible power supply (UPS). I'd recommend a pure sine wave UPS such as APC Smart UPS 750. If the power goes out you'll still need to start a shutdown of the stove but you'll have enough battery backup in the UPS for it to shutdown completely without a smokeout.

And this will work fine with this stove? We have had mixed feedback about whether they would work for our stove or not.

Newer Harmans will/can be set up to go into shut down mode,with the proper UPS.Yours cannot,so if you are not awake when power goes out(to turn off stove) an UPS will just delay the problem a bit.Perhaps you need a taller vertical section in your flue pipe.

Sounds like you might need a fresh air intake for your stove. That way if you do lose power the smoke shouldnt come into the house, It will just go back outside the intake.

Newer Harmans will/can be set up to go into shut down mode,with the proper UPS.Yours cannot,so if you are not awake when power goes out(to turn off stove) an UPS will just delay the problem a bit.Perhaps you need a taller vertical section in your flue pipe.

So my husband went to our local stove store and they suggested an inverter and a deep marine battery back up. They said it is more expensive but will give us a couple of hours of heat in the case of a longer outage and it should automatically switch to it. We actually have quite a bit of vertical. My husband is a fire fighter so the fun of how the fire and smoke works we understand its just the electrical of how to get some draft. I think with it being so cold it is not drafting outside like it should be as before this brutal cold it would get a little smokey but nothing like this.

So my husband went to our local stove store and they suggested an inverter and a deep marine battery back up. They said it is more expensive but will give us a couple of hours of heat in the case of a longer outage and it should automatically switch to it. We actually have quite a bit of vertical. My husband is a fire fighter so the fun of how the fire and smoke works we understand its just the electrical of how to get some draft. I think with it being so cold it is not drafting outside like it should be as before this brutal cold it would get a little smokey but nothing like this.
Yep,if I was gonna buy one I would do what they recommended,also,much longer run time.