Harman Invincible insert problem: Distribution motor starts on own!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandpipe

Burning Hunk
Feb 24, 2010
Massachusetts
This has happened a couple of times-- The power dial is set to off. The distribution motor just starts on its own and blows cold air. The auger motor and combustion motor don't go on. I have to pull the plug to stop it. Plugging the power back in restarts the motor.

Does anyone have any ideas as to the cause of this?

Thanks!

Paul in Leyden

Not that I am aware of. Electric in house seems to operate normally.

is it part of a cool down process at all? ie, the stove thinks its still hot?

Not part of any cool down. The stove was off for 2 days before the distribution fan turned on spontaneously.

Have any thunderstorms recently? Do you have a surge protector connected to the unit?

Your ESP probe is starting to go. when they start to crap out , they will start to randomly read an internal temp of over 180 degs, which makes the stove switch on the fans because it thinks the firebox has a fire in it, and depending on your mode selection they will try to push the heat out (for room or stove temp mode) or disperse it (if in shutdown mode). your comb motor is probably going, too, but you dont hear it over the dist blower.

Your ESP probe is starting to go. when they start to crap out , they will start to randomly read an internal temp of over 180 degs, which makes the stove switch on the fans because it thinks the firebox has a fire in it, and depending on your mode selection they will try to push the heat out (for room or stove temp mode) or disperse it (if in shutdown mode).

Do you think it might be dirty and require cleaning or is it definitely a failure situation?

your comb motor is probably going, too, but you dont hear it over the dist blower.

comb motor is probably going, too, ----- as in running-- not as in dying! That line gave me a scare for a moment. :)

Following up on this problem:

Today I pulled out the insert and installed a new $50.00 ESP sensor. I didn't push the insert back in to the hearth yet but I did power it up in OFF position. The distribution fan is still coming on and staying on. I guess it is possible that the system will start running as it should after I push it back in and fire it up but before I do that I thought I'd ask the forum for any other ideas.

The stove has been performing well despite the distribution motor always being on FULL. Nonetheless I would like the stove to operate correctly.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to the cause of this problem? I'm thinking either a bad potentiometer fan control on the board, or some sort of integrated circuit malfunction. But I really don't have much of a clue where to go from here and would like to avoid putting in a new control board if I can help it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Paul in Leyden

Without being there I would say the board is having some issues. If you replaced the ESP and the problem is still there, that is about your only option, except calling a Priest to rid the demons.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.