Harman Invincible T Sloppy Motor Mount

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smadanairb

Dec 23, 2011
NH
Here is my problem as best I can explain it without pictures:
1. The pusher arm assembly on my Harman Invincible T is loose. It is attached to the pusher arm pillow block bearing via a rubber grommet.
2. When I hold the top of the motor I can move it back and forth. I thought this was due to a missing motor mount bolt......
3. I found only one motor mount screw at the bottom left corner of the motor which held the motor to the pusher arm. Yet there was another mounting hole in the pusher arm that lined up with a motor mount hole at the top right of the motor. If there was a screw here, it's no where to be found. I installed a new nut and bolt thinking that would solve the probelm of the back and forth play of the motor.
4. The cam arm assembly is attached to the auger shaft and spins at 4 rpm's. When the cam arm bearing is at a 6 o'clock position it "rides" along the pusher arm and pushes it down to feed pellets into the burn pot. I think it's the auger shaft that inserts into the motor and turns this cam arm assembly as the motor turns the auger shaft.
5. Because of the back and forth play in the motor, the cam arm assembly gets stuck on the pusher arm and "jacks" in place like a stuck clock. As a result, it can't push the arm down, feed pellets to the burn pot and the stove eventually goes out. The reason it gets stuck is due to the back and forth play with the motor. I have a metal stick that is propped against the exhuast pipe and the backside of the motor. This pushes against the motor and prevents it from being loose. The cam arm assembly has be spinning without cause now for two days. However, I don't want to keep this prop there forever!

Where is the faulty part? It wasn't due to the missing motor mount bolt because the motor still has too much back/forth play. Even though the pusher arm assembly has some loose play at the rubber grommet, I don't think this is the problem as the pusher arm is mostly stantionary except when the cam arm assembly pushes it down. Is it where the auger shaft inserts into the motor? I can't see inside this "portal" because the stove is running and I would have to take the assembly apart. If so, do I need a new motor or is there another part in this portal - like a bearing - that has worn out, casuing all the back/forth play with the motor.

Local pellet dealers can order any part, but I need to narrow it down to the source of the problem. I have a manual with part listings, but it does have a picture of all the parts! Thanks in advance - Brian

If it's like the P38+: then it uses TWO bolts (1/2"wrench) and two quick grab nuts that you have to hold in place. You have to tighten them down a little at a time to each so that the auger goes in strait and not kinked.
On the p38 you had to open the black sawdust box and reach in and hold the nut till you got it started.
Without both nuts it won't line up with that gear bar that opens the feed door and your auger will be miss aliened.The bolt didn't look anything special and can probably be bought at any hardware store.

Open that black dust box (cover is the side of the box) and look for the missing nut.
The auger is a simple press to fit seal as you tighten it up. I think only 25 foot lbs. Easy to crank in - hard to get out. So be careful not to over tighten it.

Good luck.

Are the TWO bolts you mention on your P38 motor mount bolts used to secure the motor to the push arm assembly? I'm not sure what the "black sawdust box" is, but I removed both side panels and the rear panel for access. You also mention that both nuts must be lined up with the "gear bar". Are you referring to the push arm assembly? So the auger shaft simply presses into the motor by hand (no special tools)? Thanks

smadanairb said:
Are the TWO bolts you mention on your P38 motor mount bolts used to secure the motor to the push arm assembly? I'm not sure what the "black sawdust box" is, but I removed both side panels and the rear panel for access. You also mention that both nuts must be lined up with the "gear bar". Are you referring to the push arm assembly? So the auger shaft simply presses into the motor by hand (no special tools)? Thanks
Sorry for not getting right back to you.
The two bolts that I'm talking about are the two bolts that press the auger into the auger tube.
All auger motors that I have dealt with only have one bolt and fit into the grove on the end of the auger. I have had to file augers when the bolt got loose and messed up the end of the auger.

If the auger isn't aligned correctly in the tube - then it won't line up with the pellet feed bar. I've never had that problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.