Harman leak around door frame

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

GTO

Jan 2, 2021
Jasper Missouri
Cleaning my 10 year old Harman today and noticed some ash residue around the door frame on the latch side. Not a lot, just a faint trace but it’s new. The frame appears to have two special screws on either side, not Phillips or straight, can’t remember the name. Anyway I’m sure there’s a seal under it and wondered if trying to tighten them would help or is this a service issue. I’m 78 and 180 rt from dealer
Thanks in advance

F9D6DDE2-0584-4BCF-8D9C-5ADF685115DB.jpeg 0E2F50EA-6AC3-4093-9F57-15F5F75F05D9.jpeg 2DE1B36B-220F-42F1-B0BE-95935904EE28.jpeg CF2CF1E0-10B5-4906-A97A-327D931BD168.jpeg

To me it looks like the door gasket needs to be replaced. You mentioned it is 10 years old, has it been replace? I have replaced the door gasket on my XXV several times.
It is a rope type of gasket (I dont know your model number) pretty easy to replace, comes in 3/8 or 1/2 thickness usage depends on model .

To me it looks like the door gasket needs to be replaced. You mentioned it is 10 years old, has it been replace? I have replaced the door gasket on my XXV several times.
It is a rope type of gasket (I dont know your model number) pretty easy to replace, comes in 3/8 or 1/2 thickness usage depends on model .

Actually if you look where I have the pointer it’s the frame for the door and the opening…not just the seal around the door, that’s easy. This will be technically difficult according to Harman . They wrote me and said if I decide to have a service technician do it to contact them for a “walk through “ as it’s difficult. But I think I’m just going to run a thin bead of high temperature calk down the seam. Since I live 140 miles rt from the dealer I’m sure it’ll cost hundreds

Ahh the actual frame, ok that is odd. Almost like its out of spec. I would make sure the bolts holding the door to the stove is secure and tight. I think your right, next step clean it out well then high temp silicone in that little area.