Harman manual vs auto mode - pellet usage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It dont matter what my p61 is set to. Its always way too freakin hot in my house. As we speak 86 downstairs and 78 upstairs. Harmans on idle.

It dont matter what my p61 is set to. Its always way too freakin hot in my house. As we speak 86 downstairs and 78 upstairs. Harmans on idle.

I like it warm, 73-74, but 86?!!!

Holy way too hot! Good thing you got the hopper extension. Wouldn't wanna have to add pellets more than every month or so ;)

Always room temp manual. Doesn't seem to burn more pellets. When it's cold out she eats a bag and a half every 24 hours. Manual works better for me. Keeps the house at an even temp all day and all night.
X2

Stove Temp guy. Feed rate 4 blower on as low as it will go , vary the temp setting from 1.5 [ warm days] to 4 [ cold days 20::F and less] I avg. 24 to 30 hrs / 40 lb bag nice toasty house in the 70::F's . This works for me 3rd year now.

Tried room temp thing once didn't like it BIG flames, low flames ,no flames .

Bottom line is experiment see what works best for You . I really don't think this is a One Size fits all deal to many variables.:)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Exactly what i do

Now, I know that the experts here on the forum outnumber me in opinion, and you are about to hear them tell you how dumb I am for saying this. But give it a try and see...you will not use more pellets, it will just be a more steady, clean burn. Now, I'm gunna go duck for cover...many Harman owners about to stone me here....Help!

You are right....I don't agree but it probably won't make any difference to you what I think. I've had 2 Harmans for 17 years. I've done it all. RT/auto uses less pellets, hands down. RT/Auto is a more uniform even heat.

Reactions: SteveB

Room temp manual seems to be working well for me. Other settings; feedrate @ about 4.5; fan @ midline and temp at about 72-75. Trying to save on the ignitor and electric bill. I like the occational build up of flames from low to high in the window. The temp in the room stays between 72-75 in our lower level family room. And I don't want to be adjusting the controls based on outside temp and windy conditions every other day.

i use stove temp feed rate set @ 4, i use the stove as my main heat source to heat 2200 sq ft, and i think stove mode gives me constant even heat, ive had the stove 4 years now and havent turned on the electric heat since, not broke why fix it right

Reactions: will711
i use stove temp feed rate set @ 4, i use the stove as my main heat source to heat 2200 sq ft, and i think stove mode gives me constant even heat, ive had the stove 4 years now and havent turned on the electric heat since, not broke why fix it right

Correct, if it ain't broke...however, you could be reducing overall comfort and using more pellets. Room temp is worth giving a try.

Stove temp is constant or static heat based on ESP temp only, no provisions are made for room temp aside from the actual heat loss of the stove due based on ambient temperature. In this mode, you are only taking advantage of HALF of the stoves capabilities - the ESP.

Your house heat needs are dynamic... Wind, sun, temperature, time of day etc. all play into how your house loses heat and your heat demands change several times per day. This will lead to overheating or under-heating based on the actual heat loss. This could average out over a day tricking you into thinking your pellet usage is low(er), but comfort (consistent temperatures) will be reduced.

Getting room temp dialed in will allow you to use the dial to accurately turn up or turn down the heat based on your needs without temperature swings from the above mentioned influences and accurately match your dynamic heat loss with dynamic heat control. This is taking advantage of all the design features Harman included and what you paid for! Enjoy.

Room temp auto most of the time and doesn't burn any more than a bag a day. In this weather though, I've been a little paranoid (mostly unfounded fear) that it might not restart during the night or when we're at work so I switched to R/T manual. Using a little more pellets but it is quite a bit colder outside and its up off idle a lot more right now. Stayin' nice and warm though! :)

Edit: And still saving tons of money over heating this big,old farmhouse with dino juice! ;)

I've been on RT Manual this week, and it's working well for us during this cold snap. I noticed too that the house thermostat on the other side of the living room (the one PREVIOUSLY used for turning on the oil, but is now just a thermometer until A/C season) doesn't swing as much as it did when we were on RT auto. Since the stove is always putting out radiant heat, the dog - who always seeks out the warmest spot she can find - has made her new home about two feet in front of the stove. Thanks for all your replies and discussion. This forum is a great place for info sharing.

Temps in my neck of the woods don't start moderating until midweek next week. I should be finding mice-icles in the basement any day now.

I do RT/Auto because if I do RT/Man. it seems the temp drops and the heat is not as even. I have not tried stove temp yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.