Harman New vs. Used

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gokartmike725

Nov 19, 2012
Rehoboth MA
Hello my name is mike. im new to the pellet stove world and wondering whether to buy new or used. Right now im looking at harman stoves. I can get a six year old Harman Accentra for under $2000 compared to $3600 new. or six year old Advance for under $2000 compared to $3826 new. or a XXV used 3 years as dealer running display for $2600 w/ 1 year warrantee compared to $3800 new. Please help im really not sure what to do, and as far as i know the used ones are all in perfect working order. ANy info would be loads of help!!

What size do you need? What are you trying to heat?

I have two Harman stoves, one I bought new and one used. I seldom buy new anything, buying used makes sense. I kind of like the dealer display model with the one year warranty. You know it was kept in good working condition.

Tom C.

Reactions: SteveB
What size do you need? What are you trying to heat?
Im not sure what size i will be needing im heating the top floor of a raised ranch which is around 1200 sq.ft. ...thank you for the input silverfox103. i also thought the dealer display might be a better idea.

For those price differences I would go new, especially on the Accentra, mainly because of the warranty but also those aren't good enough price breaks to NOTA get new.

Also, stay away from the XXV.

For only 1,200 sq ft, any of the above would do well....

Which do you like best, and what does your budget allow??

Hello my name is mike. im new to the pellet stove world and wondering whether to buy new or used. Right now im looking at harman stoves. I can get a six year old Harman Accentra for under $2000 compared to $3600 new. or six year old Advance for under $2000 compared to $3826 new. or a XXV used 3 years as dealer running display for $2600 w/ 1 year warrantee compared to $3800 new. Please help im really not sure what to do, and as far as i know the used ones are all in perfect working order. ANy info would be loads of help!!

I would get the dealer display model. I actually know exactly the one you're talking about. It's in awesome condition and the store owner hand painted the leaf details on the stove. It was very stunning in person and gives it a "one of a kind" feel to the stove. If she had offered it up to me last year for that price, I would have gotten it in a heart beat!

Hi mike, great to see rehoboth representing! Dismiss the xxv comment the only issue with xxv's was a burn pot design early on and its taken care of. Im a big fan of used. An accentra that old may need a few upgrades, if you can, find an accentra woth the ultra light feeder body (direct drive auger). Im not a big fan of the advance as there are too many inter fire box parts and you get filthy maintaining them. Any p series wins my heart and the xxv may be the best mix of form and function. Buy used with confidence ....if you ever need a fix, insight...we're here on the boards and i live on tremont st.

You can dismiss the comment but if you search this forum for Harman owners that have issues, I would bet that a majority of them are XXV.

It's a beautiful stove but if it were me and the OP was asking our opinion, I would stay away. That's all!

Thanks for the help everyone. I'm going to look at the Accentra tomorrow but i wont pay more than say $1200-1500 i will definitely check out the place in acushnet first though.....you guys have already been a huge help and I've only been on here a day!

I just came from acushnet alternative heating and he gave me some really good prices on Quadra fire stoves. His prices are for new stoves. $1850 for Santa Fe, CLassic Bay 1200 for $2100, and Castile for $2600. I like these stoves and was wondering whether anyone prefers one over the other or if you would go with a Harman stove instead of a Quadra fire. Again my budget is kinda low and im not really worried about esthetics. Thanks in advance :)

your looking for a gunfight with that question here LOL told ya they had some pretty good deals, Used stove around here are high if your in a hurry they are tough to find ( a good name one anyway )
people talk very highly of the CB Dexter will chime in i think that will heat your area
yea i think I'm gonna go back there on saturday and order one. i was that happy with the guy and his prices!!

Harman has more options and Bells and Whistles.

But nothing wrong with the Classic Bay. Great Heater.

Status
Not open for further replies.