Harman Outside air kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am considering using Harmans 100% outside air kit #1-00-674080 for an Accentra insert. My home is pretty air tight and has fresh air available to the stove from the floor/crawlspace.

My first question would be, what is suggested or typical retail cost for this kit? Second would be is it worth it? Finally, instead of using the kit, is it customary to hook the fresh air pipe directly to the existing stove air intake without this kit?

Thanks to all,
Les

GVA said:
Oh Harry....... Where are ya......

Les,
Harry back will probably be here soon and will answer all your questions.

Been busy, GVA....just graduated a daughter from High School, going to parties, working, etc....you know how it is....

anyhow....

There are two approved ways of bringing in outside air to the Accentra:
1: Use an intake thimble, made by Harman, costs around $150.00, I THINK the number is 677077
2: bring in the outside air with an air intake weldment, #1-10-08542, around $50.00

The pipe is fairly cheap....we use a flexible metal pipe, around $3.00/foot.

Its worth the install if you are tight for air....gives freer acces to oxygen, generating more heat, usually....

Thanks GVA and Harry,

I appreciate you taking the time, and congrats to Harry on getting one through High School.

I guess I don't understand the part # that I listed previously that came out of the owners manual (page 22) It shows the 3" intake pipe going into a manifold then 2 3/8" into the stove, I was quoted around $70 for this part with the insert and install, then the part became $250.00 when they had to provide it to me as quoted at install time. ( we will special order that for you and have it at time of install, still has not been ordered for me)

It is the only option in the owners manual, I would suspect the manifold changes something since there is no mention of just connecting fresh air directly to the stove intake. The installer recommended just laying the fresh air pipe close to the stove intake and calling it good. I paid for the Harman part number as specified on my invoice and there is some confusion between us.

Thanks allot for your time,
Les

apologies, WA Fire....thought you had a freestanding Accentra, when you clearly stated it was an insert....was in a rush to do some stuff...... :snake:

so far, we've only done a few intake kits with inserts. The kit, 1-00-674080, includes a short piece of pipe, the intake box, and the stub which bolts to the subframe of the stove. Note that the intake is 3", while the exhaust is a MINIMUM of 4". In the case of intakes and this insert, the exhaust MUST be linered and capped to the top of the chimney...ie: you CANT do a "stub" installation AND bring in outside air through the chimney as well. The intake pipe is usually brought up through the blockoff plate, which necessitates cutting another hole in the plate, and brought a bit up past there to terminate inside the chimney. Obviously, in this case, the liner for the exhaust would need to go to the top of the chimney.
It is also possible to connect the stove up to outside air as well by hooking intake pipe up to the stove itself and then going through the wall, except this might be difficult with an existing masonry fireplace.....tho I've seen this done with zero-clearance units....in this case, you wouldnt buy the 1-00-674080 kit, but rather just the intake pipe and an outside air weldment...#1-10-08542.

We generally only keep one 1-00-674080 in stock, as they are fairly rare to sell. Im not surprised the dealer can order it and doesnt keep it in stock, I guess. The cost of this part excapes me, at the moment, since we dont sell many either, but I'll check later and re-post. Given the amount of work to install this thing, I dont think $250 is unreasonable if the technician has to come back out and add it later. BUT, if he's installing the stove, and linering the chimney, I don't think there should be much more cost to install the fresh air kit. If the technician is installing in an installation such as figure 56, on page 26 of the manual, the cost of adding outside air at the time of install should be minimal.

Actually, indirectly, there IS mention of connecting directly to the intake...see figure 52, on page 24 of the manual. If you did in fact pay for the kit, 1-00-674080, you wouldn't need it in this case. Seems kinda foolish to me to bring in outside ait, THEN just "laying the fresh air pipe close to the stove intake and calling it good". Why wouldn't you want to hook it up right to the intake nipple on the right rear of the stove and direct-connect it? In this case, the kit would be useless, and you didn't need it.

I might be misunderstanding whats going on here, and its difficult to answer questions without inspecting the situation as well. A couple questions, I guess....
1. Is this in a masonry chimney? (I'm guessing not)
2. Are they using the Harman zero clearance box?
3. If not, what type of "fireplace" is it going into, and how is it vented? (and please don't tell me its an old gas installation with "B" vent to the roof)

Les, good luck, welcome to the forum, and if youve more questions, post 'em!

okok, now Ive got to go to yet another graduation party....thanks, Les for the congrats on graduating my daughter...shes the second to graduate high school, 2 more to go. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to pay for two in college this fall! :grrr:

Status
Not open for further replies.