Harman P-38 sticky tube problems?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MCPO

Minister of Fire
Ok , if I recall correctly I read something quite a while back on the sticky (creosote) problem with some older Harmans. Mine is from 2004.
I pulled the auger today just to check on the new auger I installed in january. The old one`s tip was burned off about a 1/2" (total disintegrated) and I wanted to see if this one was still as new.
It seemed just fine. I did see some evidence of a slight carbon film up to the second flight but I think that is normal since it`s a push feed system.
Anyway I decided to do a close inspection of the tube back to the hopper slide plate.
What i discovered was a build up of sticky semi hard gooey light brown stuff and some black harder stuff ( creosote)a couple inches back in the tube ,not a whole lot ,only a small section maybe only 10-15% of the tube and only at the 4-5 oclock position looking into the tube from the front. It went from the tip of ther auger back to the pellet shute opening and up to the leading bottom edge (approx 1/4" wide) of the slide plate which I had to remove to see it.
It all scraped off easily except in the tube where I had to scrape the harder creosote deposits.
Evidently I caught it all in time and maybe prevented the possibility of a hopper fire in the future.
I guess this will add to my yearly cleaning regimen .
If anyone wants to add anything ,or has experience , or advice on this issue I`d sure be glad to listen to what you have to say.

Well, I did a search and found a few threads on the issue and my thread back in January where I did get some good advice on this. I`m getting old and forgetful I guess.
I also read about the 2 similar mods , actually for the Accentra model which seemed more inclined to have the gummy stove problem .
My plan now is to inspect this on a yearly basis and clean more often if needed.
I estimate the stove had only 16-22 tons thru it since new and being there wasn`t a whole lot of gummy stuff or creosote built up I`m not really looking to do the tube modification unless I find it to be absolutely necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.