Harman P-61A feed motor question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No I've always been able to hear the auger turn. This noise was a whirring noise when the feed motor kicked on. Hadn't noticed it before and it wasn't super loud.
Mine whirs up and then back down again ( the auger motor that is, not talking about any fingers here or any other body part for that matter !!).

Reactions: Harman Lover 007
That's the kind of cold I really don't like ! It becomes a dangerous type cold , the doc has warned me about not letting my fingers turn white like they do because of frost bite.
Looking for single digits here too but no minus. Mine is a steady drone, kinda.

Curious. Are you guys intimating thar your auger motors make no noise at all under normal opetation? I've had a low-pitched growl since day one. Considered it nornal.
I always here the Auger turn also...
just that sometimes I get the "puttin on the breaks" sound...WHIRL...
but it's something that has no pattern to it so.........no harm/no foul

Curious. Are you guys intimating that your auger motors make no noise at all under normal opetation? I've had a low-pitched growl since day one. Considered it nornal.
No growl in mine unless it's carboned up, it might make a little then. This is a low whir, increases then decreases with motor rpm. Very low toned. Maybe in time with armature or possibly gear train.

No growl in mine unless it's carboned up, it might make a little then. This is a low whir, increases then decreases with motor rpm. Very low toned.
Well, maybe "growl" is the wrong term. It's not a whine. . . . . Let me put it this way, I know it's running.

Just keep them warm.
That's what the doc said too, actually make sure I do. Easy frost bite victim I guess. He says the white fingers is a capillary thing I did to myself with years of industrial damage. I can't argue with that considering how many times I whacked them with a hammer and used impact wrenches. Hey I still play the piano fine, so I'm good.

Well, maybe "growl" is the wrong term. It's not a whine. . . . . Let me put it this way, I know it's running.
I think you're good, it would have blown up by now if it was much of anything serious.

Shhhhh. Dog's sleeping by the stove!
Our cats love my piano music, oh wait that's the heat from the stove !! No seriously, animals like music, generally. Well, if it's really music that is.

Noticed recently that when my feed motor comes on there is a whirring noise, its not high pitched and not every time that the feed motor runs. I have never noticed this before so i took the opportunity to give my stove a good cleaning today.

Cleaned all the usual stuff, burn pot, heat exchangers, pulled the ash pan, cleaned igniter area of ash. Cleaned fan behind the ash pan, exhaust pipe. Pulled the ESP probe, cleaned that. Cleaned the fines box and brushed/blew whatever dust and such I could see with panels removed. Spent a good hour and a half plus cleaning whatever I could find that needed to be cleaned. We have a cold snap coming and I wanted to be ready.

Now I will admit, I am not the most mechanically inclined and motors certainly aren't my strong point. Is this whirring noise something I need to worry about? I have had the stove 6 years now and have never noticed it before. Is it possible it needs to be lubricated? Bearing? I keep my stove pretty clean but if there is something I've overlooked let me know.

Thanks in advance!
I thought the auger motor has a small nylon cooling fan that is open. I'm thinking that is a wire sagged near that fan and just was lightly touching it, a whirring sound might occur. Have to checked that motor when it's running? Who knows, it could be something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.