Harman P-68 Igniter, no power

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PinMd

Sep 9, 2010
Middletown, Md.
Hi folks, This was my 4th winter with my P-68, burning around 6 ton of Hammer's a winter. I am absolutely fanatical about cleaning it. Started it yesterday, it ran for about 3 minutes and popped the 6A fuse on the board. Found the wires going to the igniter grounded{fused} to the burn pot. Bought a new igniter today, installed it, pulled the wires back through like I was supposed to, replaced the fuse and started it up. Seems like everything works except the igniter doesn't heat up. The indicator lamp for the igniter is lit, combustion fan is running, new igniter is good {ohms' out to 46.2ish}. Seems like I don't have any voltage going to the igniter. How would I test this? attach my meter leads to the igniter wires and switch the stove on? Suggestions? Thanks, Phil

Hello

If the auger is not turning also, then
Check your vacuum switch. You can take the wires off and clip them together. If all works that is the problem.

If the auger turns and the ignitor does not work, then you may have a bad triac on the circuit board.

Call off the dogs, just found a burnt spot on the board, not so much burnt but one of the little foil runways is melted and turned up in a ball. So, where do you get a board for these things cheap?

Thanks for the reply Don, auger motor is turning.

You can repair the trace on the board, but it'll take some good soldering skills. Perhaps a local repair shop could do it, as in a guitar shop, etc.

Cell phone and computer repair shops can do board trace repair too.

New boards have the ability to mate up with a UPS to better shut down too I believe.

New boards have the ability to mate up with a UPS to better shut down too I believe.
Yes. I tested mine and when you unplug the UPS from the wall the stove goes into shut down mode and periodically bursts the exhaust fan to expel smoke out the exhaust. I plug the UPS back in and manually turn the stove to off and back on again and it starts back up. It will not start back up again until you turn it off first on the Harman's. If you still have a fire and high temps it will kick back in right away once you turn it back on. I like this feature if power goes out so no smoke seeps in to the house. If power remains out then that is when I start up my Honda EU2000i and plug the UPS into the generator. When I have to add fuel in about 6-8 hours I just turn the genny off and the UPS/stove repeats the procedure. I then fire the genny back up and restart the stove again. Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.