Harman P Series stove - How do you load a bag without spilling pellets and burning the bag?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I read some of dons posts I feel he takes the heat (purposely) for pointing out trouble areas that may not be obvious to some pellet burners that may come to this site...not just us forum members.
If the opening is narrow as described and gets so hot as to melt the bag then I think it is a legitamate question and is poor in design.

I think the burning the bag question is a valid point. I have a thermometer on top of my P68 that I am using until I install my woodstove (hopefully early next month) the thermometer usually runs between 200* and 250* I have seen it as high as 325*. At what point does the plastic melt?

I also just cut/bunch/lift and dump as described in earlier post, but at times the top of the stove is to warm for me to place my hand.

I think Dons concern has more to do with melting plastic on the stove than how to get pellets in the stove. I too have overfilled the hopper when not being careful, being more concerned about melting plastic on top of the stove.

Has anyone every melted a bag on their stove? Or am I worrying needlessly?

Harman has a bulk load hopper. You could stay more than three feet away from the stove. Probably stay away from the stove all together for a couple weeks.

I purchased the extended hopper. Only plan to use it when we are out of town for a few days. I don't really like the looks of it.

It sure wouldn't be a couple of weeks, I am going through a little over a bag a day now.

I purchased the extended hopper. Only plan to use it when we are out of town for a few days. I don't really like the looks of it.
Really made for a basement dweller IMO

when I load mine I rest the bag ON the hopper NOT on the hot front of the stove,of course mine is on a long outside wall and I can get to the side of it no problem

If the stove is on half output or above, there's no doubt in my mind the bag will melt. My stove is corner placed making coming straight in from the side impossible. I'm forced to come in over the top a bit. My now ex-girlfriend attempted to dump a bag in my old P38 and couldn't do it. Granted, she's a 120# lightweight, but I guarantee a lot of women, no disrespect, would have a tough, if not impossible, time doing this. The P68 is even taller than the 38 making it even tougher. The hopper opening is only 6.25" front to back. ETA- yes, yer gonna spill some pellets occasionally.

Being fairly "green" still on the forum, I don't know the history of Dons posts. Having said that, I did enjoy laughing at the jabs that were taken at him in this thread, sorry Don ;)

The fact is, IMO, it is a legitimate question. If the thread was started by one of our "pellet honeys", looking to switch from an easier to fill stove, it would've turned out differently. Especially if pix were included :)

Last edited:
Reactions: IHATEPROPANE
This is were mine runs most of the time, but as stated earlier I have seen it as hot as 325*

thermo.jpg

Hello

I just tried opening the top of the pellet bag and inserting the bag in a regular white kitchen trash container. This is rigid so the bag does not flop and spill pellets. Also it pours easily out of one corner. Now if I can find a metal trash container the same size it will be perfect!

When I read some of dons posts I feel he takes the heat (purposely) for pointing out trouble areas that may not be obvious to some pellet burners that may come to this site...not just us forum members.
If the opening is narrow as described and gets so hot as to melt the bag then I think it is a legitamate question and is poor in design.

Not a poor design, the hopper opening does not get hot. If you don't lay the bag over the top of the stove there is no problem. I've never melted a bag on mine. I usually pour the pellets in from the side. Granted, the opening is a bit narrow and when I fill it to the top sometimes I spill a few pellets, but not a big deal.

Hello

I just tried opening the top of the pellet bag and inserting the bag in a regular white kitchen trash container. This is rigid so the bag does not flop and spill pellets. Also it pours easily out of one corner. Now if I can find a metal trash container the same size it will be perfect!
Wheaties, Don, Wheaties ;)

I suppose my (early on in the thread) reply to OP was curt and I`m feeling a bit apologetic for it , but my initial reaction to the question was loading pellets into a Harman pellet stove can`t be rocket science especially for someone who repairs these things.
The again there`s the old adage "there`s no such thing as a stupid question"
Giving this more thought on all this , I am willing to concede the question was probably more legitimate than I first thought. . Don was no doubt just looking for tips on how others do it as opposed to methods he has used.

I suppose my (early on in the thread) reply to OP was curt and I`m feeling a bit apologetic for it , but my initial reaction to the question was loading pellets into a Harman pellet stove can`t be rocket science especially for someone who repairs these things.
The again there`s the old adage "there`s no such thing as a stupid question"
Giving this more thought on all this , I am willing to concede the question was probably more legitimate than I first thought. . Don was no doubt just looking for tips on how others do it as opposed to methods he has used.
I still think it's crap, no apologies

Status
Not open for further replies.