Harman P35i carbon build up at bottom of vew window.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

N.E S4

Nov 28, 2012
Just installed a Harman P35i. I love the stove however the bottom of the view window has carbon streak build up. At the bottom of the door it is vented causing the carbon to build up.

Can I seal the vent with hi-temp silicon or not? Does your P35i does the same thing?

Both of my stoves do the same thing (see my picture to the left). I started burning Douglas Firs about 2 weeks ago and did notice a dramatic difference in the glass staying clean longer. Still get the streaks and some build up on the glass glass but it doesn't really start for 3-4 days as opposed to 2-3 hours

What are you burning?
Do you have an outside air kit?

Mine does the same thing. I typically notice it gets worse when the stove is burning on low or stays in a maintence burn for a prolonged amount of time. I use a razor blade to scrape the bottom of the glass to clean it up.

And you can seal any gaps in the venting with hi temp silicone.

Last edited:
I have OAK on both stoves and get it no matter what I burn, although it is diminished alot with the Douglas Firs I have been burning. I only burn what I consider to be the "good" stuff as you can see in my signature line.

Just installed a Harman P35i. I love the stove however the bottom of the view window has carbon streak build up. At the bottom of the door it is vented causing the carbon to build up.

Can I seal the vent with hi-temp silicon or not? Does your P35i does the same thing?

don't seal that, that's yer air wash.......if you seal it, be prepared for it to get worse......you'll see less (or more) with different pellets........try a good one, for fun.....like a doug fir.....

Reactions: iceguy4
don't seal that, that's yer air wash.......if you seal it, be prepared for it to get worse......you'll see less (or more) with different pellets........try a good one, for fun.....like a doug fir.....

Ok, I won't seal it. Will try Green Team when the 10 bags of Vermont runs out. Which brand uses Douglas Fir?

Last edited:
Ok, I won't seal it. Will try Green Team with the 10 bags of Vermont runs out. Which brand uses Douglas Fir?

you will be limited to whats available in your area....North Idaho, Okanagan fir

Reactions: iceguy4
Cleaned the stove this morning the wife nail polish remover works awesome.
Noooooo. Just dip a wet paper towel in ash and rub. Once cleaned I like to polish the glass up with some Rutland. The Rutland makes the glass smooth and the ash at the top does not stick as bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.