Harman P35i Resonance (resonant sound)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matwood

Nov 14, 2012
Hi there,

I'm having an annoying resonance in my (1.5 year old) Harman P35i. Any suggestions of things I should inspect, bolts I should tighten, etc? I've made a video of the issue. As you can see, the resonant sound seems to be most pronounced when the feed auger is operating (1:00 - 1:14) but can be heard faintly even when the feed auger is not on. Any help is appreciated!

Thanks for the post. I read through all the pages, and it sounds like most of the folks are complaining of a low frequency rumble, whereas mine is more of a rattling. I'll do some additional searching in the different forums, but is anyone aware of a thread where this type of rattling (which seems linked (or at least much more pronounced) to the auger) is discussed?

Going back and listening again to the video I posted this AM, to me it definitely sounds like some sort of metal on metal rattling (specifically from 0:58 - 1:14)... When I get a chance (probably sometime this weekend) I'll have to pull the insert out and poke around back there. Any ideas of where metal-on-metal rattling might be originating from? In the meantime, I'm going to try to take a better, higher fidelity recording of the rattling I'm experiencing.

When a Harman stove feeds there is a plate that opens between the hopper and the auger that allows the pellets to drop down for feeding to the fire.

If the plate gets crud on it can bind and make a noise when it moves the pellets also will make a noise when they drop. Pellets can also get caught and be crushed or cut making yet another noise.

You may want to look at the combustion motor. Mine was making a similar kind of sound when I cleaned on Sunday I tightened up the motor mounts a bit , so far so good sound has stopped .

Status
Not open for further replies.