Harman p35i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SwampCow

Oct 7, 2010
NorthEastern CT
Hi All. I'm new here... well I've been lurking for a while but wanted to actually register so I could show off my new stove. :) Here she is... bring on the cold!!

Attachments

• IMAG0221.jpg
    IMAG0221.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 1,866
  • IMAG0222.jpg
    IMAG0222.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 1,792
welcome, and very nice, brushed trim and all. fancy fancy.

Welcome Swampcow....glad you decided to show off the stove....looks great! :)

What brand of pellets are you planning on burning?

I got a free ton of New England Wood Pellets through a promotion that Harman was running during Sep. Have only had a couple burns so far... not even a full bag. I think I will be purchasing at least 2 tons soon. I can get these for 250/ton in my area. They seem good but being my first experience w/ pellets I have nothing to compare to. Are these pellets any good?

SwampCow said:
I got a free ton of New England Wood Pellets through a promotion that Harman was running during Sep. Have only had a couple burns so far... not even a full bag. I think I will be purchasing at least 2 tons soon. I can get these for 250/ton in my area. They seem good but being my first experience w/ pellets I have nothing to compare to. Are these pellets any good?

In previous years, they were considered a very good pellet, but last year the quality went downhill considerably. They "claim" that this year will be better, but who knows.

If you can do some calling around to big box stores, Tractor supply, other stove shops, hardware, etc, etc, try looking for Hamers, Somerset, Barefoot, Cubex, Turmans, Okanagan, Spruce Pointe, Dragon mtn, and some others.

Take a look at the testing forum member Jay Takeman did last year. Concentrate on low ash/high BTU output pellets:

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/50101/

www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/42511/

Welcome to the forum!!!

Great looking stove, I'm sure that will keep you warm this winter.

Carefull on "checking around" for pellets. Trying different can become addictive. Pretty soon, you wont be able to pass a store that has those pretty, white plastic wrapped pallets without stopping in and seeing what they are. :lol:

In reality, it's suggested to different ones and find what your stove likes for the best price. imacman pointed out some of the better quality pellets.

Happy Burning!!!!!

Geno

Very fancy looking install. Nice and toasty looking fire!

As Geno says, Watch out pellet hunting is catchy. I can't even take a mini vacation with out looking around for pellets. Drives the Mrs. Crazy! :)

Any questions? Drop in and ask, One of the Harman members will help you out. We have a very smart crowd here!

Welcome and enjoy the new stove.
jay

Welcome!

That is a nice lookin insert. Congrats and enjoy the heat!

thanks all for the warm welcome. I'll be careful to not get too caught up pellet hunting. Yes, I have noticed the very knowledgeable crowd at these forums. I did quite a bit of reading before my purchase and learned some good stuff from you all.
I've been doing some experimenting with fans to try and push the warm air to the bedrooms, I learned here its better to push cold air into the stove room. Tried it last night, taped a strip of paper in the doorway and could see the current leaving the living room. My wife was a hard sell to convince her we could heat the house w/ the pellet stove. She's coming around...

I didn't think heating my house could ever become a passion, but I'm loving it.

What's the square footage of your house and how's it laid out? I've been thinking of picking up one of these, but concerned it won't heat the whole house on those cold days.

Brian

It's a 1200 sq ft ranch. Kitchen and LR at one end both about 19' x 14'. It has an oversized doorway between these 2 rooms with a hall off the kitchen going to 3 bedrooms. The stove is at the far end of LR and I have one small fan mounted at ceiling height blowing down the hall from the K.

Haven't had any long cold yet so I don't really know if it will heat the whole place but it got to low 30's the other night and it kept my hallway 68(where the oil thermostat is). The stove was set around 72 in room temp mode so it cycled on and did a few short 1/2 hr. burns through the night. I'll be happy if I can keep the BR's over 60 and just buy oil for hot water.

I can't really say I'm wishing for cold but I am anxious to see what it will do through the winter.

this is the fan I got at HD for $20. It works pretty good but a little loud if in same room as tv.
http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Thanks for info. My house is just a bit larger..about 1,350 sqft. Room where the stove would be is in the far end of the house situated near the bedrooms and the family room. The kitchen is at the other end of the house. I figure the kitchen is not that important and will warm up on it's own when we are in their cooking. Trying to decide between the P35i and the Accentra.

belam said:
Thanks for info. My house is just a bit larger..about 1,350 sqft. Room where the stove would be is in the far end of the house situated near the bedrooms and the family room. The kitchen is at the other end of the house. I figure the kitchen is not that important and will warm up on it's own when we are in their cooking. Trying to decide between the P35i and the Accentra.

personally I love the p35i, great looking lines and not too "fancy". it's a great fit that doesn't have to make a statement. Thanks for sharing, I'm jealous. Makes my Invincible look ancient.

If $ matters I think the Accentra is about $800 more than the p35i. It is also quite a bit larger. I don't think I could have installed the Accentra to code in my existing fireplace. It sticks out from the wall over 4" more than the p35i.

The front hearth protection has to be 6" from combustibles. Take lots of good measurements of your fireplace before you decide.

smwilliamson said:
belam said:

personally I love the p35i, great looking lines and not too "fancy". it's a great fit that doesn't have to make a statement. Thanks for sharing, I'm jealous. Makes my Invincible look ancient.

Thanks Scott.
I also like the no frills look of the p35. It was a major factor in my decision. Almost left off the trim kit but the wife wouldn't let me. :)

SwampCow said:
If $ matters I think the Accentra is about $800 more than the p35i. It is also quite a bit larger. I don't think I could have installed the Accentra to code in my existing fireplace. It sticks out from the wall over 4" more than the p35i.

The front hearth protection has to be 6" from combustibles. Take lots of good measurements of your fireplace before you decide.

I believe this to be true most installations of any pellet stove.

I got a quote for $2,800 .. then 350 for a sealed chimney kit and 350 for installation ... I dont know if they plan on getting me for the brushed "trim" (how much was the trim kit) or the surroundings. Its been a couple weeks, do you still like it? Is it loud? Easy to clean? I think I might buying this unit in the next couple days, anything I should know? Did you get the "rail system?" If so, how much was that?

Wilburg said:
I got a quote for $2,800 .. then 350 for a sealed chimney kit and 350 for installation ... I dont know if they plan on getting me for the brushed "trim" (how much was the trim kit) or the surroundings. Its been a couple weeks, do you still like it? Is it loud? Easy to clean? I think I might buying this unit in the next couple days, anything I should know? Did you get the "rail system?" If so, how much was that?

$130.00 for the brushed stainless trim kit. standard size surround was $150.

Yes, I love the stove. I think I'm on my 6th bag of pellets so I did my first cleaning this past weekend. Wasn't too bad but I learned I need a better shop vac or just a better filter but, other than that, cleaning it was not bad at all.

It is not very loud with the distribution fan on med. It can be loud on high but I have not run the stove like this yet... maybe when it gets really cold?

I did not get the rail system. The stove has rollers on it which ride on rails of the mounting frame. I can pull the stove out to the front of my hearth with enough room to get in and clean out the back of the unit.

Hey Swamp Cow- Now that you've had the P35i installed for a few months, do you have any more words of wisdom.

Thanks,
Smokey Joe

Smokey_Joe said:
Hey Swamp Cow- Now that you've had the P35i installed for a few months, do you have any more words of wisdom.

Thanks,
Smokey Joe

um... well don't know how much wisdom I can lay on ya, but the stove is awesome. I keep it in room temp mode set to around 73-75. It keeps the living room nice n toasty, kitchen stays around 72 and my bedroom at the far end of the house has stayed 64 on the coldest days. It is 20 outside now and my oil furnace never goes on.

I wipe the glass and scrape burn pot every few days and do a good cleaning each sunday. only takes about 15-20 minutes to clean. Haven't pulled it out and done a full cleaning on all the fans yet so can't speak to that. I'm on my 40th bag so due for a good 1 ton cleaning soon.

great stove.. I love it.

if you dont mind me asking, how much was the stove plus install total?

DemonGT said:
if you dont mind me asking, how much was the stove plus install total?

Stove + pipe+ install + tax= little over 4200

this was 2010 when fed was offering 30% tax credit, so I got back around $1300 extra on my tax return. I also got a free ton of pellets with the stove.

wow, thats really not that bad at all. i was thinking it was going to be considerably more.

Status
Not open for further replies.