Harman P38+ Distribution Blower on but no air coming out?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHMAN1

Jan 7, 2014
New Hampshire
Hello,
Sorry if I am doing this wrong. I am still having the problem with my distribution blower and I did check the blower last weekend when it was a bit warmer.

I have a Harman P38+ it’s about 6 years old now. I purchased it new in the fall of 07.
I have had this problem since the end of last season and have not been able to find what is causing it.

I have the older style control board with the feed and blower speed. My distribution blower seems to be operating as it should. I see it start up when the ESP probe hits the right temperature. I can turn it up and down with the speed knob. If I have it set in the middle and turn it almost all the way up I am hearing and seeing it speed up but I am not getting any air flow at the top front of the stove at any speed. My stove and ESP probe are clean, does anyone know if there is something that would block the air distribution tubes and not allow air to come out of the heat exchanger. There is nothing on the fins for the blower wheel. I can’t think of any part of the design that would have a mechanical block for the air tubes.

Thank you

Did it somehow go from blow, to suck? Is that even possible without rewiring the motor? Put a piece of newspaper across the outlet holes and see if it sucks to it.

You're gonna have to unbolt the blower assembly and see whats up. Obviously there's an obstruction somewhere. Take the squirrel cage off and wash it in your sink, taking care not to bend anything. While that's out, inspect the inside of the housing for caked on debris. Look inside the passage where the blower bolts on. Maybe poke around with a coathangar and see what you can find. Do you have kids that may have thrown stuff down the vents in the front?

There's gotta be some sort of rats nest of debris in there.

Did it somehow go from blow, to suck? Is that even possible without rewiring the motor? Put a piece of newspaper across the outlet holes and see if it sucks to it.

You're gonna have to unbolt the blower assembly and see whats up. Obviously there's an obstruction somewhere. Take the squirrel cage off and wash it in your sink, taking care not to bend anything. While that's out, inspect the inside of the housing for caked on debris. Look inside the passage where the blower bolts on. Maybe poke around with a coathangar and see what you can find. Do you have kids that may have thrown stuff down the vents in the front?

There's gotta be some sort of rats nest of debris in there.

Thank you it has to be something like that. I wouldn't doubt that it is cat hair from the cats or something like that. I have not taken the blower off yet. Is that just a couple of bolts and a gasket? I am hoping it's right at the output of the blower.

Thank you again

Don't forget to unplug the stove first!

Owner wasn't getting any air out of this either.

Attachments

• DSCN0125 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN0125 - Copy.JPG
    245.7 KB · Views: 210
soon as I seen cats, take it off give it a good cleaning. It is amazing how much gets sucked up in there

Well, after another brutally cold night I waited until the house was warm enough from the sun this morning and powered down the stove and waited about an hour. I took the shields off the back and the wheel on the blower is still as clean as a new one. I decided that's it and took the blower off pretty simple if you have a long extension with a swivel. Once I took the blower off it was unreal. I could hardly get my hand and fingers in the square hole. Facing the back of the stove I pulled out a huge ball of burned cat hair on the left side and the same on the right. I used a coat hanger and a fish made from electrical wire. I cleaned everywhere I could get them to go. I think that I must have had at least a softball size ball of disgusting cat hair that must have collected in there for the last 6 years. I can tell you it feels like I have a brand new stove again. Now I am back to being too hot sitting about 16' from the stove. What I am going to do is use the outer ring with the 3 screws and put a small mesh screen over the intake of the blower. I would rather stop it before it gets in the stove.
I wanted to thank everyone for their input and quick responses. Now I can turn down the feed rate and fix everything else I have for projects.

Thank you all again

Reactions: P38X2
Well, after another brutally cold night I waited until the house was warm enough from the sun this morning and powered down the stove and waited about an hour. I took the shields off the back and the wheel on the blower is still as clean as a new one. I decided that's it and took the blower off pretty simple if you have a long extension with a swivel. Once I took the blower off it was unreal. I could hardly get my hand and fingers in the square hole. Facing the back of the stove I pulled out a huge ball of burned cat hair on the left side and the same on the right. I used a coat hanger and a fish made from electrical wire. I cleaned everywhere I could get them to go. I think that I must have had at least a softball size ball of disgusting cat hair that must have collected in there for the last 6 years. I can tell you it feels like I have a brand new stove again. Now I am back to being too hot sitting about 16' from the stove. What I am going to do is use the outer ring with the 3 screws and put a small mesh screen over the intake of the blower. I would rather stop it before it gets in the stove.
I wanted to thank everyone for their input and quick responses. Now I can turn down the feed rate and fix everything else I have for projects.

Thank you all again

Heads up on the mesh its a good idea but will block up fast remember to check it often!

Ewww, sounds smelly, lol.

The screen is a good idea, but remember to clean it often as it is more apt to catch stuff that would otherwise blow right through. Also, it will collect debris at an exponential rate as the more debris there is, the more effectively it will work.

Glad you got it figured out.

I think the P38 has a 2 cat hopper ;)

I am always back there at least once a week cleaning the distribution and combustion blower. It was one of the things that one of the service techs told me 6 years ago when the stove was under warranty. He said they don't do good with cats and long haired dogs. I personally would deal with a long haired dog over the cat hairs any day of the week. So keeping the screen clean is going to be easier. Although I think that I am going to use a lot less pellets now. I felt like I was back to the days of using my wood stove for radiant heat. The pellet stove does not do as good a job with radiant heat like a wood stove does.

P38X2 I really liked your comment. " I think the P38 has a 2 cat hopper" That was perfect.

By the way it feels really good to be back to a t shirt again. I finally don't need a heavy sweatshirt on!! This morning at 4 am I was up taking some meds and I had to put a jacket on.

Thank you all again. I have another thread that I am going to post tonight. No broken stove post this time.

Take care and stay warm

Status
Not open for further replies.