Harman P38 hard to light

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lousyweather said:
Gio said:
Lousyweather said:
pkitfox said:
Started our Accentra one time with Avon hand sanitizer. Got it started, but wasn't easy. I find it interesting that you guys are using IPA and charcoal lighter fluid. For some reason, I thought using those were not approved. Are those two fluids safe to use in a pellet stove? I am asking because I don't know.

Maybe they dont realize that there are pellet starter gels available out there? Or maybe their retailer doesnt have them? Or maybe IPA is cheaper than starter gel? I do know one thing though.....you'd better be damn sure there are no live embers in there before you dump IPA or charcoal lighter flud on those pellets! Most gels now are less explosive.

And you had better not think about adding gel to a hot burnpot either! I would have to believe the majority of users well know that gelled alcohol is the stove makers preferred fire starter but the problem is at $8+ a pint (in many shops) it doesn`t go far if you use your stove intermittently, spring/fall .

However, you do bring up a good point above , one that I failed to mention. Yes , it`s dangerous to apply or add a fire starter liquid/gel of any kind to anything but a cold burnpot load of pellets for obvious reasons.

Most of, if not all, of the gels sold these days are nowhere near as explosive as straight IPA....
And also why they are not as effective at starting the fire. ;)

Wet1 said:
Lousyweather said:
Gio said:
Lousyweather said:
pkitfox said:
Started our Accentra one time with Avon hand sanitizer. Got it started, but wasn't easy. I find it interesting that you guys are using IPA and charcoal lighter fluid. For some reason, I thought using those were not approved. Are those two fluids safe to use in a pellet stove? I am asking because I don't know.

Maybe they dont realize that there are pellet starter gels available out there? Or maybe their retailer doesnt have them? Or maybe IPA is cheaper than starter gel? I do know one thing though.....you'd better be damn sure there are no live embers in there before you dump IPA or charcoal lighter flud on those pellets! Most gels now are less explosive.

And you had better not think about adding gel to a hot burnpot either! I would have to believe the majority of users well know that gelled alcohol is the stove makers preferred fire starter but the problem is at $8+ a pint (in many shops) it doesn`t go far if you use your stove intermittently, spring/fall .

However, you do bring up a good point above , one that I failed to mention. Yes , it`s dangerous to apply or add a fire starter liquid/gel of any kind to anything but a cold burnpot load of pellets for obvious reasons.

Most of, if not all, of the gels sold these days are nowhere near as explosive as straight IPA....
And also why they are not as effective at starting the fire. ;)

Agreed, for sure, but safer....dont forget some of the folks who are using this stuff....."oh....I think I'll perk up my fire abit.....squirt some gell on that smoldering fire......woaahhhhhhahhhhh! Sweetie! quick! call 9-1-1.......uhhh.....stop-drop-roll, right?"

Status
Not open for further replies.