Harman P38 I think Im in trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jester

Aug 19, 2008
Seacoast Massachusetts
Gonna be one of those days.
Pats were beating the Bills, got the Haloween decorations down, Decided to clean my P38 after a few weeks of low to moderate operation.
I shoulda quit while I was ahead. This stove was spotless before the season and Im burning mostly Big heat. Took the firebox off because I dont have a mirror to see inside, found better than 75% of the holes blocked. Spent the next hour chipping clinkers from the bottom. Took the ash pan our, went to clean the combustion blower. Got the vacuum about 3 inches from it, it started spinning all nice and free, then about half of the fins came off it.
Soooooo needelss to say my first call Monday is gonna be to my local Harman dealer, so he can tell me since I didnt buy the stove there he wont sell me parts (been there done that) and from there off to search for one that will, and risk pissing this guy off.
Now that Im done venting, has anyone ever had this happen to them before? It doesnt look like its gonna be a bad fix (oh my god, did I actually just say that?) but I cant immagine what its gonna cost.
D'oh. least he Pats won.
Eric

Sorry about your stove, but at least the Pats won!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, don't know how the Harmans are made, but if the fins came off that easily, they may just be slotted inserts, are you sure they won't just slide back in?

It appears to be a round disk and the fins appear to be tack welded on. If the one or two that made it into the shop vac are in decent shape I may try and re tack them together, but balencing will probably take a hit then.
Ill give the dealer his due, maybe he'll do the right thing.

I can't see any reason why they wouldn't sell you parts.
My stove isn't a Harman, but I've talked with several
dealers willing to sell me parts when I need them.
Last year I needed a convection fan and ordered it
over the phone with a cc from a dealer about an hour
away. They had the fan drop shipped to me in 7 days.

I can see them not willing to service your stove, but
can't think of one good reason why they shouldn't
order any part you need. If they won't I think that's BS
and they should have to order it for you since Harman
won't deal with the end user.

Absolutely. I bought my Harman used, and the dealer it came from is 45 minutes away. Consequently i've had to by parts on 2 occasions from a different dealer. Never an issue at all. Might be an issue if you're trying to get the parts free under warranty, but if you're willing to pay you should be fine.
Harman parts are pretty reasonable too. New combustion blower should be well under 150, I think.
Good luck, these things happen

I dunno, Back when I wanted to put the log set in there they checked stock, had three, priced it out as 65 bucks. I told them Id be by to get it, like 20 minutes away. She asked for my name, I thought it was to put it aside for me, and she came back and said, Im sorry you arent "in our system here "I explained I bought the stove used from 135 miles away and she said that the dealer that sold the stove would probably ship the log set to me. They have however changed thier tune with regard to selling pellets. The are now selling them to non stove customers. Maybe they saw the light?
We'll know tomorrow morning!

Im hoping the squirrel cage comes off the shaft and they sell the unit seperate, as the motor is fine, just the dumb fins fell off.
Hell, Im just hoping they will sell me the parts.

Jester said:
I dunno, Back when I wanted to put the log set in there they checked stock, had three, priced it out as 65 bucks. I told them Id be by to get it, like 20 minutes away. She asked for my name, I thought it was to put it aside for me, and she came back and said, Im sorry you arent "in our system here "I explained I bought the stove used from 135 miles away and she said that the dealer that sold the stove would probably ship the log set to me. They have however changed thier tune with regard to selling pellets. The are now selling them to non stove customers. Maybe they saw the light?
We'll know tomorrow morning!

Im hoping the squirrel cage comes off the shaft and they sell the unit seperate, as the motor is fine, just the dumb fins fell off.
Hell, Im just hoping they will sell me the parts.

If they won't sell you the part, let us all know who they are. I personally would not want to do business with a company with such a short sighted policy.

the impeller blade is available separately, so you won't need to buy the motor too. If your local dealer won't sell you parts, he is an idiot. And if so, PM me, and I will sell you the part and ship it to you.

one really big thing to keep in mind here......harman did not make that motor, or squirell cage. its seems latley harman would have a hard time managing a hot dog stand, so going to harman would be the second place i would look. i would get the part off, and look for a manufacturers name, and model number. i would actually venture to say that it is a common part, from a common manufacturer. i seriously doubt that harman spec'd this fan, and that its a propritory part. that would cost money, and we all know manufacturers dont like spending money needlessly. my (not harman) stove burnt up the circuit board due to a power surge. i found the manufacturer of the board more than willing to sell me the part, (and really friendly) and at considerably less than what the manufacturer wanted. and i mean like 1/3.

They are willing to sell me the part, but they are telling me that the impeller and motor are one (apparantly I cant undo the allen head cap screw and pull the impeller off the shaft)
The kit is $65 and the stove is three years old, so maybe changing the motor isnt a bad idea too. They did tell me they would be willing to sell me the part too.

The impeller (it is not a squirrel cage type) is a 5" Double Paddle Fan Blade (Harman description) part number is 3-20-502221 and lists for about 10 bucks.

I called the local Harman People, funny thing when you're armed with a part number. $8.35, several in stock.
Thanks Parrothead, you just saved me over 50 bucks

you are welcome, glad to help

Status
Not open for further replies.