Harman P38 in cottage ocassional use getting condensation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kelly

Dec 27, 2013
rockwood
I just installed a small pellet stove and vented the stove with a clean out tee and straight up 9ft and out the cathedral ceiling using the appropriate ceiling pass/through box and 3 ft of pipe above the roof . I use the stove intermittently and I find a small puddle of water behind the stove after the initial start and have found water dribbling down the pipe from the outer liner . I suspect that I am getting the condensation and frost that may build up on the outer liner and on the cool down and now that it is 30 degrees it turns back into water and drops . I feel as if I should have vented straight out the wall and had the clean out outside for one and went up to above the eaves with the pipe and feel that since this is probably usual I would have not noticed this issue or had concern with it . is it normal ? is it just a snow accumulation and a bit of frost and condensation and did I vent incorrectly .

I suppose it could be condensation forming on the pipe where it's closest to the ceiling, but it sounds more like your penetration area isn't sealed correctly. Is your cottage unusually humid, or are you using a humidifier? If that's the case, I'd say condensation is likely the culprit. If not, I'd double check the thimble and any pipe joints outside for proper sealing.

I suppose it could be condensation forming on the pipe where it's closest to the ceiling, but it sounds more like your penetration area isn't sealed correctly. Is your cottage unusually humid, or are you using a humidifier? If that's the case, I'd say condensation is likely the culprit. If not, I'd double check the thimble and any pipe joints outside for proper sealing.
I dont believe the leak is at the roof flashing ,

How cold are you letting the cottage get during times of non use?

How cold are you letting the cottage get during times of non use?
im keeping just above freezing , radiant in the floor is set at 50 and the upstairs should be seeing 40 degrees . I don't have a therm, in the upstairs area . this is happening - the condensation on the floor under the clean out and the pipe that is closest to the thimble before it reaches the ceiling is dribbling water , after initial fire up and I only suspect it is frost that is accumulating and the odd bit of snow that finds its way down the pipe . this is only an assumption , as soon as I mentioned to my brother I went through the roof he said you will get condensation . and he stated you should have vented through the wall . and I was having trouble because the window and the corner only offered 8 inches but I can see now out the wall is the only way . your thoughts

Hmm. I'm surprised others haven't chimed in here. It does sound like condensation caused by the pipe losing heat to the outside. Have you tried contacting a stove shop to see what they recommend? Maybe there's some sort of a "thermal break" kit solve the issue. I suppose you could try and wrap the top couple feet of pipe with insulation but it'll certainly look funky. HD sells pipe insulation that may work. Its R-2 and is 3"W x 1/11" thick. Duck brand. Charcoal in color.

Hmm. I'm surprised others haven't chimed in here. It does sound like condensation caused by the pipe losing heat to the outside. Have you tried contacting a stove shop to see what they recommend? Maybe there's some sort of a "thermal break" kit solve the issue. I suppose you could try and wrap the top couple feet of pipe with insulation but it'll certainly look funky. HD sells pipe insulation that may work. Its R-2 and is 3"W x 1/11" thick. Duck brand. Charcoal in color.
I agree it would not be an issue if this was heating the cottage constantly , and it would be great to have other opinions , just to get a frequency of the issue .

I only suspect it is frost that is accumulating and the odd bit of snow that finds its way down the pipe
Termination cap on the pipe?

A logical guess would be you have a thermal loop going,if you are running a oak.More heat during day condensing at night & freezing.Try unhooking oak and plugging when leaving?

I will plug it and see if it improves . what is the most correct way to vent these - out the wall direct , up the wall 4-5 ft then exit the wall ? the instructions I saw did have several options

Your venting is proper,just a unique situation.If unhooking works you can just put in an inline shutoff,seen them on other stoves.

Your venting is proper,just a unique situation.If unhooking works you can just put in an inline shutoff,seen them on other stoves.
thanks , when I was waiting for the rest of the pipe , the adjustable portion for the correct length , I jammed a rag up the pipe that just entered the ceiling under the ceiling passthrough box and when I went to install the rest of the pipe , I noticed frost on the s/s liner and the rag was starting to drip water and was damp when I pulled it out . I went ahead and installed the rest and excited, fired it up. I love the stove and am finishing this cottage /new build and was disappointed to see small amounts of water on the floor under the clean out tee and then dribbles of water coming from the inside of the outerliner just below the passthrough and following down the pipe . it doesn't do it for long and suspect this is just normal condensation/or frost since its not fired all the time . I think I missed the boat and should have just vented straight out the wall , went out 2ft and claen out tee on the exterior - smart and then went up the building on the exterior 3 ft above the roof line , just like I have it . moisture problems 0 and easier to clean . rite at the moment I will have to move the stove away from the corner and disconnect the pipe to clean it . I think I missed it and I cut a hole in a nice leak free steel roof . tell me straight up should I change this and vent it exterior .

thanks , when I was waiting for the rest of the pipe , the adjustable portion for the correct length , I jammed a rag up the pipe that just entered the ceiling under the ceiling passthrough box and when I went to install the rest of the pipe , I noticed frost on the s/s liner and the rag was starting to drip water and was damp when I pulled it out . I went ahead and installed the rest and excited, fired it up. I love the stove and am finishing this cottage /new build and was disappointed to see small amounts of water on the floor under the clean out tee and then dribbles of water coming from the inside of the outerliner just below the passthrough and following down the pipe . it doesn't do it for long and suspect this is just normal condensation/or frost since its not fired all the time . I think I missed the boat and should have just vented straight out the wall , went out 2ft and claen out tee on the exterior - smart and then went up the building on the exterior 3 ft above the roof line , just like I have it . moisture problems 0 and easier to clean . rite at the moment I will have to move the stove away from the corner and disconnect the pipe to clean it . I think I missed it and I cut a hole in a nice leak free steel roof . tell me straight up should I change this and vent it exterior .

ran the stove today for 5 hours and the fresh air at the stove is frosting the line up well and its got an r4 wrap on it , and of course the top section of pipe is dripping and there was water under the clean out area again once fired a while , this frosting of the fresh air or OAK as you tend to see must just be normal , and never mentioned , thanks

A logical guess would be you have a thermal loop going,if you are running a oak.More heat during day condensing at night & freezing.Try unhooking oak and plugging when leaving?
Can you please expand your view of the fresh air intake shut-off please - what did they use or configure . I am frosting/icing at the rear of the stove where mine attatches to the stove and is this because I have a leak where the flexible pipe slips inside the intake on the stove or just typical . I know on the Harman it takes 2.3/8 and the stuff I bought slips inside the intake and would have preferred an outside hoseclamp arrangement , no big deal . I do have a good flicker going on and I think I hear it . is this a normal condition as well . I mean is this an intake leak or just normal burn

Saw an adapter with a flap here or ebay,but you may need a three ay so you can still run stove?Shutoff is for when not running stove.Do not know your stove,cannot reply about flutter.You need to talk to one of the stove installers here on the board.Perhaps sw or don will chime in?

Saw an adapter with a flap here or ebay,but you may need a three ay so you can still run stove?Shutoff is for when not running stove.Do not know your stove,cannot reply about flutter.You need to talk to one of the stove installers here on the board.Perhaps sw or don will chime in?
Thanks appreciate the reply , I hope to hear from one or both of those installers thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.