harman p38 problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tallen4392

Sep 27, 2010
Does anyone have any ideas ???? My p38 will run fine for awhile then the room blower will stop blowin air . After a little bit it will start and run again i tryed cleaning the esp but it did not help.. The stove is 5 years old.. Can i check the esp to see if it is bad ? Can i only get them at a dealer THANKS A LOT FOR THE HELP TOM

tallen4392 said:
Does anyone have any ideas ???? My p38 will run fine for awhile then the room blower will stop blowin air . After a little bit it will start and run again i tryed cleaning the esp but it did not help.. The stove is 5 years old.. Can i check the esp to see if it is bad ? Can i only get them at a dealer THANKS A LOT FOR THE HELP TOM

When was the last time you cleaned your convection (room, distribution) blower of all of the dust bunnies it has accumulated?

1+ to what Smokey said.

I have told this story, but here goes again: A friend of mine wife bought a Harmon P38 when he was ought of town working. She loved it, faithfully cleaned it and had it professionally cleaned every year. My friend said it was dirty, had to clean it all the time and didn't work right. It's about 10 years old and they didn't really use it that much. I doubt if 10 tons ever went through it. Finally it got so bad, they called up the company that they bought it from. They came over to fix whatever it needed. Turns out all it needed was a good cleaning. The person that cleaned it before was a reputable chimney sweep, but didn't know how to clean the stove. It worked like new. My friend still hated it.

Unfortunately, my friends wife died from cancer. She wasn't gone two weeks and he had the stove taken out from house and brought into his garage. He called me up and ask me what it was worth, he new it was old and manual start. He liked my P68 with the automatic start. I told him if it was automatic ignition, I would be interested in it. I was about ready to pull the trigger on a P43. He figured he would ask $500. About a month he calls me to sweeten the deal, he threw in a 4000 watt generator. I couldn't pass that up. I figured if I didn't like the P38, I could sell it and get the P43.

Long story short, it's been installed since September. It runs great and puts out plenty of heat. I am very happy.

Take that stove all apart and give it a thorough cleaning. I think your problems will go away.

Tom C.

Thanks for the info i cleaned it in september. I have been cleaning this stove and my accentra insert for 5 or 6 years now both stoves have always worked great until this minor problem. iIdont think it is a cleaning issue but thanks for the tip .. Any other ideas

My P-38 would do the same thing on lower temp settings like 1 - 1.5. Does this happen when you increase the temp to 3 through turbo settings?

On lower temp settings the fan will go off and on until a certain temp is reached inside the stove. I believe it is approx 180 degrees or so that triggers the fan to come on.

Cincinnati Kid said:
My P-38 would do the same thing on lower temp settings like 1 - 1.5. Does this happen when you increase the temp to 3 through turbo settings?

On lower temp settings the fan will go off and on until a certain temp is reached inside the stove. I believe it is approx 180 degrees or so that triggers the fan to come on.

The above is exactly how mine works. I didn`t think much of this restriction so I installed a double pole , double throw switch and speed control on mine so the distribution fan would run continuously on low settings. Not exactly a 10 minute job but it was well worth the couple hours and $20 bucks for parts. I can now get 40 hrs burn time on a bag of pellets. this is great in the shoulder seasons.

Here`s a link to my diagram/schematic/ pictures in a thread (3-4 yrs ago) of exactly how I did this .
https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/18178/

Thanks for all the tips but this stove never did this before it does not matter if it is on low or high it can run for 10 min or an hour before it acts up i know this is not normal because it just started this thanks

tallen4392 said:
Thanks for all the tips but this stove never did this before it does not matter if it is on low or high it can run for 10 min or an hour before it acts up i know this is not normal because it just started this thanks

OK, so what you are saying you are running the stove at a higher than minimum setting and the blower cycles on and off.
I`d have to say the problem lies in the exhaust sensor. Unless of course a connection/wire on that blower fan circuit is loose.
However if the stove is in fact set too low this cycling is normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.