Harman P38 smoke leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Remstar311

Hello,
I have a harman pp38+. Its a 2006 model. I just got it two weeks ago. Cleaned it thoroughly and installed it. Works great but then it leaks smoke when you crank it up to turbo. It's only a matter of time before the smoke alarm goes off. I can find no visible smoke. I have sealed the exhaust pipe. At lower operating speeds I haven't had a problem. Is there anything that tends to get hot and separate? Please advise.
Thanks
Nick

Lights out, crank it up, check with flashlight..piping, flange,etc.. Got to be bad leak if the smoke alarm goes off...others should chime in with ideas

Lights out, crank it up, check with flashlight..piping, flange,etc.. Got to be bad leak if the smoke alarm goes off.....
Ditto. Best time to check for smoke leak is when first turning the stove on....during that smoke before fire time.

Yeah I figured that too. I have checked with that method and to no avail, at least to the best of my ability. I'm just hoping this rings a bell with someone. You can't see the smoke, you can smell it coming out the front and seems to be between the stove and hopper, but nothing visual. I've watched at start up and while its running with the blower as low as possible to not pull the smoke off of the pipe. Can't find anything. Thanks guys.
Nick

Its only when its full boar on turbo. No smells, smoke, or problems running it normally to maintain temp.

All metal expands when it gets hot, the hotter it gets the more it expands.

Is it wood smoke or a chemical smell. If the stove was never run full out it may have never fully cured. In a darkened room during start up running a red beam of light along the venting might show up a smoke leak. You can also look for a v shaped ash stain on and along the joints in the vent system paying particular attention to the stove adapter area of the vent system.

Thanks Smokey. I suspect it is as you described. It was probably never run wide open. I bought the stove from a very elderly lady who had it in a single wide. It was a newer trailer at least fairly insulated. I will also check more for the ash pattern. I see that particular pattern on the top of my door. The fire cord seems a little buggered but real wore or dirty. I assume that the cord is replaceable? It is a wood smell.

Thanks,

Nick

my money is on a leak on the stove nipple, secondly, if the OP used used pipe, well, there.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
What is the stove nipple? After looking extensively I believe the problem is I need a new fire cord around the door. I can see the light of the fire along the hinge side and just in one small spot on the handle side. Tops and bottoms look good. I assume that it should be tight? Also, yes the pipe is used, but I never took the inside length of pipe apart. I have resealed them any ways, but I only disassembled at the T out side. Thanks for the help guys.

Nick

well, if you can see light, you need a new gasket, BUT the firebox is under negative pressure....if smoke were escaping there, youre stove wouldnt feed (most likely), since the power to the gearmotor would be cut off via the vac switch. Where is the stove nipple? where the pipe conects to the stove. How did you attatch and seal that joint?

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
What is the stove nipple? After looking extensively I believe the problem is I need a new fire cord around the door. I can see the light of the fire along the hinge side and just in one small spot on the handle side. Tops and bottoms look good. I assume that it should be tight? Also, yes the pipe is used, but I never took the inside length of pipe apart. I have resealed them any ways, but I only disassembled at the T out side. Thanks for the help guys.

Nick

It is where the vent connects to the stove, what goes in that area depends upon the stove. This area is prone to not getting properly connected and sealed. A common error made is not providing a mechanical fastening and depending upon the RTV to be both a gas seal and act as a fastening (which RTV is not) resulting in that area loosening up and leaking.

Due to the design of the stove as mentioned above, smoke smell usually comes from the venting.

1. Check the stove to venting connection (Nipple) it should be fastened with a screw and sealed with silicone.
2. Check all your elbows this is where leaks are more common as well.
3. Rest of venting.

How I checked mine was
All lights off with a flash light.
Unplugged the unit with a small fire going, let a little smoke build up in stove.
I plugged it back in, the stove blows the thick smoke through the venting.
Use your flashlight and check out your venting, and you will find your leaks.

I had a lot of problems with my Duravent the first install. I didn't silicone every connection.
Pulled it apart siliconed all the connections, and have been leak free since.

It has a fire cord on the stove nipple. I pushed on the vent pipe over it and fire caulked it extensively. There isn't a screw in it but it is a very tight fit. I can't see any cracks in the caulk around the joint. I know that the blower motor for the heat is right below that joint so it picks up smoke so fast you can't see it when it leaks and that is why it smells coming out the front. What my train of thought is at this point- when its on turbo its making a lot more smoke obviously because its burning the most pellets. Couple the smoke with the heat fan blowing on high out of the top of the stove, this may be creating a small vacuum and pulling smoke from the door. It's the best I can think of at this point. If the fire cord replacement doesn't fix it I will disassemble the stove/vent joint and re-assemble. It only smells on turbo. Thanks guys.

seal that nipple with RTV, check for other leaks. While your idea is possible, I dont think its likely. If you walk out your front door and see hoofprints, dont look for zebras, look for horses.....could be a zebra, I guess, just not terribly likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.