Harman P43- Auger motor started making squeaking noise?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stillyslalom

Sep 1, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Well, the title pretty much says it all- my relatively new Harman P43 started making a high-pitched squeaking/squealing noise when the auger motor runs. Has anybody else experienced this, or should I just get in contact with the dealer and do that whole song and dance?
Thanks

common thing to create that noise is carbon in burnpot, rubbing against auger as it spins. Usually giving burnpot a good scraping fixes this. Look deep in the lower corners for pesky carbon cleverly disguised as part of the burnpot, sneaky sneaky.

Make a call to your dealer and see what he says. At least this can start the process.

Eric

Delta-T said:
common thing to create that noise is carbon in burnpot, rubbing against auger as it spins. Usually giving burnpot a good scraping fixes this. Look deep in the lower corners for pesky carbon cleverly disguised as part of the burnpot, sneaky sneaky.

+1 : this is 99% of the squeaky noise issues i get from harmans...

out of curiosity, does your firepot have 5 holes right near the bottom of the auger? There is some talk on the newest firepots
not having these holes, only the ones at the end of the firepot.

Yes, there aren't any holes in the bottom of the firepot. I scraped it out and i couldn't see any more carbon accumulation as far as the auger. The sqeaking is lessened, but it's still present, which leads me to believe that there's some carbon buildup in the auger itself. Is this possible?

This happens pretty frequently with my 2 1/2 year old accentra. Cleaning the carbon from the burn pot with a screwdriver works most of the time. If that fails, using the same screwdriver, gently move the (pry gently) the auger from left to right and for whatever reason this has also worked. Interestingly, how frequently and quickly I'll get the squeak is directly related to my feed setting. A setting of less than "2" will have me squeaking in days, no matter how often I clean it. So I always run it at at least "2", this buys me more time, sometimes months.

Status
Not open for further replies.