Harman P43 difficulties. six blink status message/fire going out.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

camotan

Dec 27, 2014
Fairbanks, Alaska
Hi, I've been having difficulty with my Harman P43. It's my primary heater and I run it on manual, feed setting 4, with the room temperature dial set around 65--75 (I turn it down when I leave the house and up at night once I'm home). I don't use automatic ignition.

Starting about a week ago the stove has been burning out while unattended (over the night or while I'm out of the house). The status light gives a six blink error each time, indicating poor or incomplete combustion. I am not out of fuel in this situation.

I keep the stove clean: The burn pot is scraped until it's smooth and all the holes are unblocked; the big ash pan is emptied regularly; the outside air intake is unobstructed and not frosted over; the combustion blower is clean; the flue is clean and I am careful of the ESP probe when cleaning the flue; the fines box is empty and the little air channel behind the fines box is clear best as I can tell; the fines box cover is replaced and the wing nuts tightened firmly; the "v" shaped part at the top of the interior is clear of ash; the auger is clear of pellet dust. I even took the ESP probe out and gave that a clean too, although it only had a thin layer of soot on it.

I've tried kicking the feed setting up to 5, 6, and then 7 and I still have the same problem. Today I was home and able to monitor the stove. I lit a fire and let it do its thing. It kicked up to full, the flame appeared healthy, and the distribution blower kicked in for an hour or two. When the room got up to temperature, the stove dropped to a low setting and eventually went out, even though it's on manual. At that point it had a six blink error. I quickly checked the air intake clapper, but it was not obstructed. And of course, I was not out of fuel.

I have read some forum posts here of a similar situation and the advice was to replace the ESP sensor. While that may be the case, just yesterday I was holding the sensor in my hands. It's a few years old but it didn't seem damaged. I didn't hit it while cleaning the flue, and I'm really curious how it could be broken. It's just a simple thermocouple with some wires, right? Do they wear out? How often does that happen?

I'm prepared to go buy another one, as at this point I don't see what else it could be, but it does seem weird that it would go bad. It would also be annoying to drop $70 and find it was something else.

Just a few minutes ago, I read that the gaskets can be a problem. I checked the gaskets around the door and around the hopper lid. The hopper lid gaskets were a little dusty, so I cleaned them. The door gasket may be bad: it was quite flat. What's more, is that there have been times in the past where a little bit of windex has dribbled down to the lower gasket and there was one time this past week when the stove burned out but the air intake fan was still blowing where frost had literally formed on the bottom of the door. So the door gasket may have some faults. I'm going to buy a new one and in the meanwhile, I picked at it with needle nosed pliers to fluff it up a bit. This shook out a lot of deposits caked into the rope, and by the time I was done it was pretty fluffy and the door needed a fair bit of pressure to close and lock.

I currently have my toyo set around 75 degrees and the P43 active and set to 65 (manual, feed rate 7). My thinking is that the stove has been failing on its low setting when the room is warm, so I want to try keeping the room warm and see if the P43 can maintain it's low burn for the rest of the day now that I've fluffed the door gasket.

If that doesn't work, I guess the next step is to buy that ESP probe? I was hoping there was something else I'm missing. Thanks for any advice you've got, it would be much appreciated because I am near the end of my rope on this problem.

Edit: I forgot to mention that each time I have gotten the six blink error, the burn pot was empty. That is, there were no partially burned pellets, they all burned up and the stove had shut down.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum....
Sounds like you have a pretty good command of your Harman and how it works. I think you are headed in the right direction. Have you done the dollar bill test of the door gaskets since you "fluffed" them?

If the stove works well for a while I do not think there is a problem with the ESP probe.
try the stove temperature and see if it works well,
I think it's a problem with the room temperature sensor
poorly connect terminals

Reactions: F4jock
Hmmm! did you have low voltage draft setting properly set during install? I'm wondering if the feeder motor is shutting down causing the fire to burn out due to a draft issue.

Thanks for the input. I just now held a dollar bill around the seals and it stayed pretty still. And the stove has been running on a very low setting for several hours now so the door gasket might have been the problem--maybe it was letting just enough air through to kill a small fire? Now that I think of it I have had a harder time lately getting the fire started.

I did check the terminals on the temperature sensor; they seem like they're in there good. Next time I clean I'll try disconnecting and reconnecting just to be sure. I'll also switch it to a nice hot stove temperature tomorrow when I have a little more time.

I had to do the installation myself so I didn't have any calibrations done. The stove has worked fine for about two and a half seasons so far, although I had some difficulties come up to speed on the cleaning schedule in the first few months.

I'm going to let it go for the rest of the evening, and then kick it up to about 75 degrees overnight. Hopefully it's still going in the morning.

You can find them online, but I had someone do it after having ignition problems. My readings were way off causing my ignition to take much longer to fire pellets than normal and sometimes not igniting them at all.

After the adjustment, all is good.

The dollar bill test is where you close the door and lock it and then try to pull the bill out. If it pulls easily, its loose and probably leaking. Vacuum leaks are the peskiest if air or water. Gasket replacement is a easy project. Think I did three stoves this month.

Sounds like an esp might be in your future, but I gotta ask- how are your pellets? Is it possible that you are burning extra long pellets? A few years ago I had a couple of tons that were too long and bridged at the bottom of the hopper. I woke up to a cold house a couple of times before I figured out what the deal was.

The next year that pellet manufacturer switched to clear bags so that everyone could see that they had fixed the problem.

The pellets are medium length; I haven't had any problems with the feed.

What makes an ESP sensor break? I can see if someone breaks it while cleaning but otherwise, it's not that complex piece of equipment. Do they melt or something?

Although I have no advice, I gotta chime in with this:

It is refreshing for a poster to be as thorough in their description of maintenance, what they have checked, and possible culprits when asking for input to an issue. Although you are new to the forum (welcome, by the way), you obviously have consulted your manual and done a little research - kudos to you.

Sounds like changing that gasket would be a good idea - amazing what a little air leak can cause.

Reactions: F4jock and bags
There are many here much better at trouble shooting and explaining the facts but I will offer up some with your question of what makes the ESP break. They don't necessarily 'break' but more likely wear out or possibly something melts inside. I don't know and would say there's no rebuild kit. LOL! The probe goes thru heat extremes. That's its job. To sense and tell the unit what the hot exhaust is doing so the unit can adjust to keep within a certain temp or make adjustments to get there. Kinda like the eyes and ears or feel for the brain (CB control or circuit board) in a sense.

I had to replace a thermistor probe on my Woodmaster last season. Quick and easy like the ESP probe would be. It is or does basically the same thing as the Harman's ESP probe but instead of measuring the exhaust temp it senses the water jacket temp. It could no longer function correctly and send the right info to the control board so the unit could make itself run right and kick off and on or call for heat to bring the water temp up. Some what like a thermostat telling he furnace to kick off and on.

When I pulled it out it looked just like the new replacement and no visible signs of wear nor anything broken. It was broken though and malfunctioning. Put the new one in and it was back to normal. That thermistor probe was similar looking to the ESP probe but different in size and runs off of a typical speaker type wire whereas the ESP has a smaller gauge wire. The probe for the Woodmaster was $22 if I recall correctly and was a bit bigger diameter and length than the ESP probe in the Harman exhaust. I can't see where the Harman probes are three times as expensive but they have you over a barrel so to speak unless you are an electronics guru and could match it up with a cross reference. They are specific to each unit, make, model etc; and you need the correct one set to read within the require parameters and such.

BTW, Welcome! You'll fit in just fine around here.

A bad room temp sensor may also be the problem. Testing is simple. When your stove is firing hold the tip between thumb and forefinger. Stove should go into shutdown within a minute or two max. When stove is shutdown hold the tip between two ice cubes in a plastic bag. Restart should occur within the same couple of minutes.

A bad room temp sensor may also be the problem. Testing is simple. When your stove is firing hold the tip between thumb and forefinger. Stove should go into shutdown within a minute or two max. When stove is shutdown hold the tip between two ice cubes in a plastic bag. Restart should occur within the same couple of minutes.
If set to room temp.

After checking the gaskets and the room temp probe, the first thing that I would replace would be the esp. When mine have gone bad in the past my stove would run, but not correctly.

Which he is. And in my experience I've found that a bad or poorly connected room temp sensor can affect stove performance in any mode.
Room temp probe will-should throw a 4 blink code if disconnected and igniter set to auto.

Room temp probe will-should throw a 4 blink code if disconnected and igniter set to auto.
When my room temp probe connection was flukey I had all sorts of interesting things going on relative to alarms. What finally pointed me to the room temp sensor was the finger and ice cubes test. Found a bad connection, fixed it and things were happy again. Six blinks may have priority over three. Don't know. The OP stated his auger was empty. Did the pellets burn back during shutdown? Gotta determine which came first, chicken or egg.

Last fall when my room temp probes connections were shorting at the connector the consensus was the board was bad. While retrieving an errant screw from behind the stove for the board it was found the unraveling of the probe wire after spending $250 on the new CB:( Couple dabs of solder and was good to go.

Last fall when my room temp probes connections were shorting at the connector the consensus was the board was bad. While retrieving an errant screw from behind the stove for the board it was found the unraveling of the probe wire after spending $250 on the new CB:( Couple dabs of solder and was good to go.
I feel your pain. Don't ya hate it when you overthink things? Time and again when troubleshooting I have to remind myself to K.I.S.S!

Not necessarily. If you'll look at other threads on the site you'll find that a faulty or disconnected room temp sensor has, at times, affected stove temp operation.

Reactions: Bioburner
My stove started acting weird one time and I couldn't figure what was going on. I did a thorough cleaning and it was still goofy. Finally I checked the temp probe- it turned out that my wife had cleaned behind the stove and had somehow loosened it. All I did was disconnect it and reconnect it and I was back to normal

Status
Not open for further replies.