Harman P43 - Has mind of it's own or bad circuit board?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseyC585

Aug 28, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Hello,

my harman stove is acting very strange. It first started when I turned it up from the idling temp that I usually run it at. Shortly after I noticed a horrible burning plastic smell and some smoke in the room. It continued to run so I turned it off to let it shutdown like normal and eventually it did. I was getting a blink code of 3 (bad esp) so I did a power reset on it but that didn't work, still getting the blinks and it wouldn't shut down after that. It just kept feeding and it left the fans running.

Then, I opened it up. I cleaned the ESP probe and inspected the circuit board. I did not see anything fried on the back side but the ribbon adapter for the power was loose and almost disconnect on the top end. I reseated that and put it back together. Fired it up and it was running at full blast and I barely had the settings up. I turned it off and the fans restarting repeatedly (rather than it cycling down) and it kept feeding strong. I let it get a low as possible and pulled the power to let the fire die out. I plugged it back in with everything off and it did its normal when it's plugged back in and it stayed off. Came back to it a couple hours later and the fans were on and it was feeding pellets repeatedly with dial on OFF and the temp turned down low. I made sure it wasn't on test mode and I had to cut the power again.

Please help. I has a feeling that it's something electrical.

Just a guess on my part but you likely need a new control board and possibly the wiring harness.

Sounds just like what my Advance was doing (bought used for $50). Just ran full blast and would not shut down. New control board and all was good.

Ok, I'll have to check with my local dealer to see if they have any and how much and if they can part it out under warranty or not. Any suggestion on part websites as an alternative in case my stove dealer seems too steep?

Thanks.

caseyc585 said:
Ok, I'll have to check with my local dealer to see if they have any and how much and if they can part it out under warranty or not. Any suggestion on part websites as an alternative in case my stove dealer seems too steep?

Thanks.

There is very few aftermarket parts available for the Harman. Dealers have to sell at the suggested price so he is the best place to go.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.