Harman P43 ignition problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Walf

Feb 16, 2015
PA
Hi all!

I have had a P43 for a little over a year. I noticed about 8 months in, it was slow to light. I cleaned it well, including the burnpot/igniter area. I even made sure to get the ash out of the igniter area (thanks to advice from here).

Today, my wife said it wouldn't light and was dropping unburned pellets into the ash pan. I cleaned it up including getting the ash out of the igniter area, but it still won't light on its own. The igniter appears to get hot, just not hot enough. I made sure the holes in the burnpot (over the igniter) are clear.

The only thing I can think of is to replace the igniter and make sure I clean the ash out of there every week.

Silly me thinking if I followed the manufacturer recomendations for maintenance Id be fine.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

How complete is your cleaning procedure?
Have you pulled the rear shroud & cleaned the fines box?
If so, is the cover on the fines box on correctly?
I've had ignition problems because I didn't get that area cleaned...

How complete is your cleaning procedure?
Have you pulled the rear shroud & cleaned the fines box?
If so, is the cover on the fines box on correctly?
I've had ignition problems because I didn't get that area cleaned...

Hi Daksy. Yes, each time I've cleaned it, I've cleaned out the fines box. And the cover is on correctly. Thanks for the idea though!

Ok, as an update, I got up this morning and pulled the igniter out of the interior of the burn pot figuring it might just still be dirty. I have cleaned everything else up, including vacuuming out the fines box. When I got the igniter out, it really did not look dirty at all. I put the igniter back in and put everything back together. I put some pellets in and attempted to fire it up. It lit on its own. The only issue I see is it lit only on the left side. So I am still not sure if there is something possibly wrong with the igniter or not.

Ok, as an update, I got up this morning and pulled the igniter out of the interior of the burn pot figuring it might just still be dirty. I have cleaned everything else up, including vacuuming out the fines box. When I got the igniter out, it really did not look dirty at all. I put the igniter back in and put everything back together. I put some pellets in and attempted to fire it up. It lit on its own. The only issue I see is it lit only on the left side. So I am still not sure if there is something possibly wrong with the igniter or not.
Mine has always lit on the left side first
The next time your stove is cooled down check your burn pot for build up by rubbing your fingers down the pot. Most of us use more than the Harman tool for scraping. Flat head screw drivers and chisels
make certain all off the holes in the burn pot are clear by poking a small drill bit in there (Not to deep your igniter is in there)
Also could be moist pellets

Walf,
the ignitor is made to light from the left side. As the pellets light off, the flame will move towards the right.

Have you tried, unplugging it and leaving it unplugged for a while? I have had this problem with mine before. It could be something to do with a board or something.

Buy yourself a new igniter and some high temp ceramic wire nuts (smallest you can find) to have in your back pocket just in case. Sounds like it may be going South. Rather than go thru snaking wires I cut and nutted mine when it went. Five minute procedure and has been fine for six months since I did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.