Harman P43 making hissing sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ldedeo

Oct 25, 2009
Northern,MA
Been a while, but I have a problem I cannot figure out for the life of me. I have a new Harman P43 and lately it has been making a high pitch hissing sound. Almost sounds like it is letting off steam, usually when I shut it down. I know it is not the auger because that is not moving when it makes the sound and it almost sounds like it is coming from the back part of the stove. This stove is going to put me in a grave, I just got rid of a squeaking sound from the auger. I also have a Harman advance (12 years old) and all I have done to that is clean it. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

smwilliamson said:
Run the stove on test mode and see if you can isolate which moving part it is coming from. May be something as simple as an air leak on a gasket....or a sticker, wire or pellet rubbing on a motor wheel.

X2, my money is on a gasket on the intake side of things (upstream of the combustion blower).....this could be a leak in the upper or lower hopper gasket (lower is more likely from the description)......empty the hopper, turn on a flashlight and drop it into the hopper....close lid......turn off room lights.....can you see light escaping?

Otherwise, isolate the noise as Scott says....remove the motor covers and the backplace......once all the rear covers are removed, I think it will be obviosu enough.

I would also like to say this is still under warrantee, so, why isnt the dealer doing this?

I rebuilt a P-61 and when I test fired it I had a whistling sound. I found that it was from inside the hopper on a seem. Some well aimed silicone took care of the whistle.

Eric

hopper seal

Thanks for all the input guys apreciate it. Going to try it out this weekend. Also you are right it is under warranty and I had them out for the squeaking (that they only fixed by spraying some wd40 onto the auger hole, after it burned off it came right back) So not impressed with the service, so I figured if I can't get it I will call them. I will post my sesults.

THANKS

ldedeo said:
Thanks for all the input guys apreciate it. Going to try it out this weekend. Also you are right it is under warranty and I had them out for the squeaking (that they only fixed by spraying some wd40 onto the auger hole, after it burned off it came right back) So not impressed with the service, so I figured if I can't get it I will call them. I will post my sesults.

THANKS

lol- wd40 on a soon-to-be-hot auger....good idea! Im not impressed either.

Status
Not open for further replies.