Harman p43 oak install question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason845845

Feeling the Heat
Aug 11, 2014
Kingston, Ny
i plan on reusing the oak kit from my previous stove on my new p43. I spoke with the dealer briefly and he said that my existing 2" flex pipe just sits inside the intake flange on the new stove.

It doesn't sound right and it isn't here to test so I'm just doing prep work. Is he right? How much difference is there in the od of the 2" flex pipe and the id of the flange? If this is the proper install method can I foil tape to seal off any drafts for when the stove isn't running?

Thanks!

That doesn't sound right to me either. I have a Harman PF120 with an OAK, the flex pipe for the OAK is about 3in I.D. and it fits loosely onto the flange of the furnace which is just abhair over 2.75in O.D.. I am presently hunting around for a peice of silicone hose to fit over the flange and inside of the tube and take up the difference in diameters. I picked up a used Harman P68 yesterday and am planning on building my own OAK kit for it. It too will need the same treatment. If you currently have 2in flex tube you'll have to find or engineer some sort of adapter to go up to a 2.75+ ID in order to slip over the flamge of the P43. Another option would be an adpater to slip snugly inside the ID of the flange, but you wouldn't be able to use a hose clamp to secure that. This is all assuming the P43 is the same as my P68/P43, which according to the install manual for the P68 it should be.

Reactions: Jason845845
The I.D. of the flange is likely much bigger than the O.D. of your hose, so just laying the flex inside the flange would leave a good size cold air leak when not running plus cause your furnace to suck in a fair bit of room air when running also. Foil tape would probably work as a temporary fix but I wouldn't rely on it to stay there forever.

Reactions: Jason845845
20141228_110227.jpg 20141228_110221.jpg

Your manual states:

"
To install outside air use 3". non-combustible flex pipe Figure 4.13"

To use the existing OAK, I think you would need to make an adaptor. However, if the stove is set up for a 3" pipe for the OAK, I would think that it would run best using 3" flex pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.