Harman P43... Startup problems.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fnordster

Dec 12, 2016
Tobyhanna, Pennsylvania
Hi all,
I am new here, new to pellet stoves, but not so new myself... ;-)

So: harmon p43
It came with the house i just bought.
Had the chimney cleaned 3 weeks ago (including vacuuming out all the venty bits at the back of the stove.)
Cleaned and scraped burn pot.
Opened and cleaned out the ash trap.

Ran on room temp mode for a few weeks and all seemed okay. It would run, idle, heatup, idle, go out, reignite.

Then in ran out of fuel.
I made sure the stove was 'off' (mode selector). Unplugged it, cleaned all the ash out of burn pot. Filled it and plugged it in.
Got the 1 sec diag and then all off (power led on).

Ran test mode to fill burn pot
Set to 4.
Set to room temp mode and
Just the combustion blower. (yes the ignitor is set to 'automatic')

Futz with it for a long frustrating while (on off unplug knobs cursing, etc.)
Turn it off and then on and bang all is good.

I have been repeating this insanity for about a week.

WTF?
HELP!

Thanks

When is the last time you undid the two wing nuts, slid the hatch off directly on the front underside of the burn pot and cleaned the ash out of that compartment. That is the igniter compartment and also air manifold to the burn pot, when it gets ashed up the igniter is rendered less/non effective. Also when you scrape the burn pot, Harman suggests that you bang on the top of the burn pot with the scraper tool to knock ash off the igniter. Have you watched the Harman videos on cleaning your stove ?

Harman maintenance video on P stoves:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/RJK0QYKKfKQ

Last edited:
Reactions: jzm2cc
Every day for the past three days.
The first time it was about a third full. Made sure to suck out all the ash. Then made sure the ignitor was not coated (fingers).

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

I'll second alternativeheat's comments. It sounds like a deep cleaning is needed. Whenever my stove starts acting wonky it's because it needs a full deep clean out. I did it yesterday and it takes me about 3 hours from start to finish. Just emptying the ash can and burn pot is not enough.

I'll second alternativeheat's comments. It sounds like a deep cleaning is needed. Whenever my stove starts acting wonky it's because it needs a full deep clean out. I did it yesterday and it takes me about 3 hours from start to finish. Just emptying the ash can and burn pot is not enough.
What in heck are you doing that takes 3 hours ? I can clean my p61 soup to nuts in under 20 minutes. If I do the vent that will take another 20-30 but I only do that twice a year.

Hmm... Can you point me to a deep cleaning guide?
I am out now but will do it upon my return.

Hmm... Can you point me to a deep cleaning guide?
I am out now but will do it upon my return.

Watch the video I posted, it's only 6 minutes or so long. The link is in my previous message/ response.

And for the record, when my stove gets a crooked flame or slow start up etc, it's a sure sign it needs cleaning before it's normal scheduled cleaning.

Reactions: Fnordster
What in heck are you doing that takes 3 hours ? I can clean my p61 soup to nuts in under 20 minutes. If I do the vent that will take another 20-30 but I only do that twice a year.
I'm an old retired guy. I like to take my time, make a pot of coffee, take a nap, and finish up with a long shower. My favorite saying is, I make a career out of every little thing!

I'm an old retired guy. I like to take my time, make a pot of coffee, take a nap, and finish up with a long shower. My favorite saying is, I make a career out of every little thing!
LOL, me too ( retired but only 66 yo) ! But cleaning the stove isn't one of them is all. Don't even talk about how long it takes me to turn out a finished bud vase on my wood turning lathe though, I mean like days, maybe a week, from a rough log to a vase with finish on it !! Although I'm doing up three of those as Christmas gifts so I'll have to push myself to get the second two done ( one already is). I drink far too much coffee and tea. No question about that.

Hi all,

Ran test mode to fill burn pot
Set to 4.
Set to room temp mode and
Just the combustion blower. (yes the ignitor is set to 'automatic')

Futz with it for a long frustrating while (on off unplug knobs cursing, etc.)
Turn it off and then on and bang all is good.

I have been repeating this insanity for about a week.

WTF?
HELP!

Thanks

If I am interpreting this correctly, when you put it on test mode the blower came on but no pellets fed - is that correct? Will the blower stay on indefinitely (like you can walk away for 10 minutes and it is still going) or does it stop after a minute or so?

If it is the first scenario, then it probably thinks a door is open - which may mean that one, or more, of the gaskets is old (or a door really is open or not closed correctly - hopper, ash pan, firebox, or fines box).

If I am interpreting this correctly, when you put it on test mode the blower came on but no pellets fed - is that correct? Will the blower stay on indefinitely (like you can walk away for 10 minutes and it is still going) or does it stop after a minute or so?

If it is the first scenario, then it probably thinks a door is open - which may mean that one, or more, of the gaskets is old (or a door really is open or not closed correctly - hopper, ash pan, firebox, or fines box).
With the door closed, in test mode, it cycles all the motors.

Argh!
So i go through the cleaning.

I run it in test mode to ensure all motors work and get some fuel in the pot.
I turn it off... Let everything spin down.
Wait a moment and then turn it to room temp mode and set the thermostat to 80°.
And... Nothing : just the combustion blower.

I am now done. So i shut it down, put gel starter in, get a small flame going, turn the stove back on to room temp mode and everything works (ignitor, combustion blower, feed motor).
2 minutes later poof! And a nice flame.

WTF?

Argh!
So i go through the cleaning.

I run it in test mode to ensure all motors work and get some fuel in the pot.
I turn it off... Let everything spin down.
Wait a moment and then turn it to room temp mode and set the thermostat to 80°.
And... Nothing : just the combustion blower.

I am now done. So i shut it down, put gel starter in, get a small flame going, turn the stove back on to room temp mode and everything works (ignitor, combustion blower, feed motor).
2 minutes later poof! And a nice flame.

WTF?

Maybe the igniter is shot.

I thought about it. But i was under the impression that ignitors were all or nothing.
You see: the combustion blowing put out the gel but since the I ignitor light was on i let it run. 2 minutes later the fire started in the normal way...
I will stiletto on it a few days and trackle it again.

They can get weak and not fire the stove off or you could have a bad connection that makes contact intermittently. The normal is they just get fried but we have seen plenty of abnormal igniter activity around here too. Heck the the one in my wife's kitchen oven got weak and wouldn't fire off the gas burner, it certainly wouldn't have fired pellets compared with gas.

Just use Google and type in whatever part or igniter for Harman P43 and sites will show up. Shops and look around. Many are out there.

Reactions: bogieb
Upon reflection there is a pattern... Sort of...
So i got it lit yesterday as posted above and...
I let it run in constant burn for about a half a bag (set very low). All good.
I then took a chance and set it to room temp mode..
And it has been cycling normally since. Even going out and reigniting...

So i thought about it a realized that I have problems when it goes out because it runs out of pellets.
So: when the stove is cycling normally all is good. But when it runs out of fuel it punishes me by being bitchy...

When they run out they should still cycle as normal once you turn the room / stove temp to off and then back on after you reload the pellets. Just get into a habit of throwing pellets in every evening and morning to top it off.

The only time I run out is if I fall asleep without loading it after the stove has already been running a long time. It happens but not often. I guess I am used to a more routine loading schedule coming from heating with wood where you have to stay on top of the fuel.

I've had that happen a few times and I ended up unplugging the stove for a few minutes and when fired back up, it cycled normally.

Upon reflection there is a pattern... Sort of...
So i got it lit yesterday as posted above and...
I let it run in constant burn for about a half a bag (set very low). All good.
I then took a chance and set it to room temp mode..
And it has been cycling normally since. Even going out and reigniting...

So i thought about it a realized that I have problems when it goes out because it runs out of pellets.
So: when the stove is cycling normally all is good. But when it runs out of fuel it punishes me by being bitchy...

You may want to consider adding a hopper extension. I put one on our P43 last winter and it's nice knowing it'll run for 1-1/2 days if I need it to. Usually I just add a bag every day cause unless it's near zero out there is usually 1/2 a bag or more left in the hopper.

Sam

Going through the fourth winter with this P61, in that time I can think of once it ran out and it started normally . The only other time it ran out, it seems to me I unplugged the stove to reset it that time but that was a long time ago now to recall the details. I keep a pretty close watch on it usually and just top it off morning and evening whether it needs it or not..

Neither of my stoves have acted up when they have run out of pellets, but maybe yours just has a little gremlin in there who is very hungry :)

You may want to consider adding a hopper extension. I put one on our P43 last winter and it's nice knowing it'll run for 1-1/2 days if I need it to. Usually I just add a bag every day cause unless it's near zero out there is usually 1/2 a bag or more left in the hopper.

Sam

Stove extension may seem pricy - but worth every penny. I have an extension for each of my Harmans.

The main reason I was looking to replace my former Hastings, which was a perfectly fine running stove (and very nice looking for the living room), was it would run out of pellets in 12-15 hours. Work hours plus the commute often either had the stove running out during the cold of Jan-Feb even though I filled it just before leaving the house. No way to put an extension of the Hastings so I was elated when I found the P43 for a very reasonable price on CL. I bought the hopper extension way before I ever set the P43 up.