Harman P43 Stove Temp Drop in Arctic Weather?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin1024

Aug 31, 2016
WOOD
Hi.
It's been freezing here the last few days (10 degrees or so) and I have noticed about a 40 degree temp drop on my magnetic thermometer. Is this normal. I have flex piping going straight up and out of my chimney. (Not insulated). The installer stuck insulation around the openings though. Any thoughts?

Hi.
It's been freezing here the last few days (10 degrees or so) and I have noticed about a 40 degree temp drop on my magnetic thermometer. Is this normal. I have flex piping going straight up and out of my chimney. (Not insulated). The installer stuck insulation around the openings though. Any thoughts?
Could be the increased draft on that vertical rise . Chimneys, liners etc, draft a lot more in cold weather than warm. Could be going into a slight over draft and pulling heat from the stove box .Or, if you are running in Room Temp mode, it takes more hot air out of the heat exchanger to heat the house. That too pulls it from the stove, however in Room Auto the flame should ramp up to compensate.

40 degrees isn't huge swing in temp anyway, pellet stoves are mostly convection heat not radiating heat. The p series just radiate more than most do.

What mode are you running it in ? Are you lacking for heat in the house from the stove ?

Last edited:
40 degrees isn't huge swing in temp anyway, pellet stoves are mostly convection heat not radiating heat. The p series just radiate more than most do.
But wouldn't the surface temperature be indicative of the stove firebox temperature?
I see a big difference between a 350° temperature,
and 400° surface temperature.. in output air.
Not sayin' it as fact, just how I see it on my stove.

Dan

I have it in stove mode but have also run in room mode. The temp swings were consistently lower in both modes. I do have a high 30 ft chimney with liner going all the way up and out with outside air kit. And Dan, my temp swings are identical to yours. 400 degrees down to 350 in cold weather.

I have it in stove mode but have also run in room mode. The temp swings were consistently lower in both modes. I do have a high 30 ft chimney with liner going all the way up and out with outside air kit. And Dan, my temp swings are identical to yours. 400 degrees down to 350 in cold weather.
I bet it's the increased draft. I know my flame gets more lively when it's extra cold out and my liner etc is 26 ft. With some pellets I trim the combustion blower screw back just enough to level the flame back out. I have a mark on the panel where my starting point is so I can get back there easy enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.