1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
  1. referee38

referee38 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Pa
    I just cleaned my Harman P43 and now its not operating correctly. In room temp It runs high all the time no matter where the controls are set the flame is to the top of the stove almost. I shut it down pulled the plug for a min and started it again and the same thing happens.

I put it in room temp and on low the flame is still to high any ideas?

Thanks,
    Ed

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Brewer

Brewer Member

Loc:
    West central ohio
    Hey ed,
    Have you tried running the stove in "stove temp" mode?
    If it works as it should in stove temp mode, i would suspect the room temp sensor.
    If it runs the same in stove temp mode as it does in room temp mode, i would look at the Exhaust Sensor Probe. ( ESP )
    There has been alot of talk here about the harman ESP lately, check out some of the threads.
    Any blinking lights?
  3. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    Either the ESP is dirty, Did you clean it when cleaning the stove? Or perhaps you damaged it when vacuuming inside the exhaust port.
  4. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

my kneejerk on this is the ESP as well, just like above, but could also be a bad potentiometer on the circuitboard. try just tapping on the room temp/stove temp knob and see if it changes...most likely the ESP tho.
  5. Defiant

Defiant Vermont Castings Geek

Loc:
    Old Lyme CT
    Check your room temp probe wires, make sure they are connected, (you might have accidentally disconnected while cleaning) if they are then esp would also be my guess.
  6. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

are you getting a "blink error" on the status light? 4 blink, for example would be a room temp sensor error....
  7. Harman Lover 007

Harman Lover 007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Mass & Lakes Region of Maine
    all good advice above...but check to be sure you installed the wingnuts and the cover under the burnpot correctly if you cleaned out where the igniter is. That will also give you a very large uncontrollable fire.
  8. referee38

referee38 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Pa
    Sorry I have not been back sooner. It did happen right after I cleaned it and I was worried I might have damaged the ESP. I put it on stove temp for a while and then switched it back and it worked better. It seems now to be working correctly. Could I have touched the ESP without damaging it and that did it is what did it? I always turn the wing nuts tight after cleaning in there. It works like it supposed to now so I am a bit puzzled. Thanks for all the rep[lies. ERS
  9. STOVEGUY11

STOVEGUY11 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SOUTHERN CT
    ESP's can be a pain in the butt. Luckily they are not too much money, and are easy to replace. In the future pull the ESP out before you brush the exhaust port.
  10. roadking88

roadking88 Member

Loc:
    central Maine
    that's why i dont touch my esp..i just use the vac in the blow mode and blow it out the vent..comes out nice and clean...
  11. Lousyweather

Lousyweather Guest

meh....one screw, pull it out, then go to town with the brush!
    mepellet likes this.