Harman p43

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xandrew4507x

Oct 3, 2014
South Central PA
Well after much debate between coal or pellet, I ended up getting a pellet, I had purchased a drolet, but after seeing some more bad reviews I returned it and bought myself a harman p43. I have had it up and running since last tuesday and I have to say I love it already.

I'm still getting used to the controls of my harman, I had read the sticky that was posted about harman stoves here and am slightly confused. It says if you turn the dial one way it runs off stove temp and if you turn it the other way it runs off room temp, it also said about keeping your blower running at a lower speed and let the stove work as a radiant. On my stove I have a dial that controls temperature of room, or always on, does that sticky still apply to the p43?

How does running your blower at a lower speed use less pellets?

In room temp mode the stove does all the thinking for you. In stove temp mode the esp(exhaust sensing probe) controls the stove by keeping the exhaust temp the same, regardless of the room temperature. Turning the room air blower to a low setting allows more heat to leave the exhaust, thus tricking the control to feed less pellets. That being said don't get hung up on saving pellets. You are gonna need to burn some pellets if you want to produce heat. There is no magic setting on any control that will save pellets and provide the same amount of heat. That sticky does in fact apply to your P43. Congrats on your new stove.

Reactions: newbieinCT
Thanks for clearing that up, is it better to let the stove run on room temp in manual ignite mode so that there is an idle fire and the ignition isn't used nearly as often? Running it this way, how many more pellets would be used? A noticeable amount?

Thanks for clearing that up, is it better to let the stove run on room temp in manual ignite mode so that there is an idle fire and the ignition isn't used nearly as often? Running it this way, how many more pellets would be used? A noticeable amount?
I usually run room temp mode auto during the shoulder season, and run room temp manual once the weather gets cold enough. Room temp manual isn't really wasting pellets as the stove is putting radiant heat out during idle. I believe idle runs about 1/2 pound per hour but I could be wrong about that. I don't worry about wearing ignitors out. I consider them a consumable and always have a spare on hand. One nice thing about a Harman is the ignitor is under $100, whereas the enviro I use to own was $180_g I you don't want to lay out the cash for a spare ignitor then it would be a good idea to learn how to light your stove manually, that way you will at least have heat until your new ignitor shows up.

Wanted to add in as well, I am very happy with how the stove is working in my house, a box fan on low blowing warm air into my kitchen keeps it almost the same temp as the living room 71-72. Bedrooms are right around 68 which is a little lower than perfect, but good for sleeping. My house is divided down the middle by a hallway, so its hard for warm air to get from the living room to the bedroom side, there is a vent with a small computer fan installed in between, I bought a new fan that I am putting in today that will move triple the amount of air across, I will see if that makes much difference.

I usually run room temp mode auto during the shoulder season, and run room temp manual once the weather gets cold enough. Room temp manual isn't really wasting pellets as the stove is putting radiant heat out during idle. I believe idle runs about 1/2 pound per hour but I could be wrong about that. I don't worry about wearing ignitors out. I consider them a consumable and always have a spare on hand. One nice thing about a Harman is the ignitor is under $100, whereas the enviro I use to own was $180_g I you don't want to lay out the cash for a spare ignitor then it would be a good idea to learn how to light your stove manually, that way you will at least have heat until your new ignitor shows up.

I think I am going to run room temp manual with my blower at half speed. I think that will be the most efficient way, especially when it is very cold out, the stove wont have to stop and start often using a lot of pellets to get up to temp.

Is there a way to connect this to a thermostat, I would love to hook this up to the thermostat in my living room, all the connections for the thermostats are directly below the stove in the basement, so it would be very easy to connect on to them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.