Harman p61 auger

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

freebird77

Feeling the Heat
Jul 4, 2007
Hallstead Pa.
Can someone please tell me just how the auger is supposed to work? Does a higher feed setting mean that it runs more often, or for longer when it does run? Also, it seems to come on a lot even set at 70 degrees. Like 2 or 3 times a minute. Is this right?
Also does anyone have an idea on the longevity of the auger, blowers, etc? Never gave it much thought that the two blowers run continuosley, How long can they last? Appreciate any advice. Thank you

The feed rate on a Harman pellet stove just means the higher the feed rate is set the longer it runs when it's calling for heat. Think of it as a 60 second cycle. If you have it set a 4 then the auger motor will run for 40 seconds out of a 60 second cycle. The lower you have the feed rate the more the unit will feed. by setting the feed rate low you are tying the units hands behind it's back. you want the unit to feed in as much fuel as it can so it can reach your set point quicker. By it hitting the set point quicker the unit will go into a maintenace mode which will make your feed motor feed once every minute for a few seconds. this keeps the fire in the burn pot rather then slowly working it's way back into the auger tube.
As for longevity of the auger/blowers. as long as you take care of them and keep them clean you shouldn't need to replace them anytime soon. :)

So you are saying that Im better off by having the feed set more towards 6 or 7? Then around 3 0r 4? If the temp dial is not set very high and the feed is ,it wont waste fuel? Im not getting the hang of this real quick and it shouldnt be that hard.
Also, Ive been experimenting with the room probe and say I have the stove set at 72, I put a thermometer right next to the probe and it will read higher. No matter where I move the probe the temp at that point is higher then what Ive set the stove dial for. Any advice?
One more question, please. I have the air intake going to the stove as I have a newer mobile home. Ive noticed a LOT of condensation on the piping leading from the outside to the stove. I know cold air versus warm equals moisture but this seems like a lot, even dripping on the mat under the stove. Help?

well having it set at a 4 or 5 is actually one of the best places to keep it. this will allow the unit to feed what it needs to keep the set temp satisfied. No, having the feed rate set this high will not waste fuel in the long run. It will actually save you. The room sensing probe may read higher then the set temperature. It's soul purpose in life is to keep the stove within a degree or two to what you have set at the control panel. How high off the ground do you have your room sensing probe? If I were you I would keep it about 4' or so off the ground. Remember the higher up the wall you put it the warmer the air is. Heat goes north cold goes south. You need to find the happy medium when placing this probe.

Thanks FHS, I have the probe about 3 feet up on the wall right now. had it about 4 and a half previousley but the same discrepencys in the temps. So by turning the deed rate up, it will conserve fuel and not waste it? Thanks for the advice. Im sure Ill have more questions, hope you good people can be patient with me. Thanks, Doug

freebird77 said:
Thanks FHS, I have the probe about 3 feet up on the wall right now. had it about 4 and a half previousley but the same discrepencys in the temps. So by turning the deed rate up, it will conserve fuel and not waste it? Thanks for the advice. Im sure Ill have more questions, hope you good people can be patient with me. Thanks, Doug
Is this an outside wall?
Just like with thermostats mounting them on an outside wall is not recommended, but not a big deal it may throw off the temp reading a bit..
as far as feed rates Unless you have a super insulated air tight home you will need to have a higher feed rate start at 4 and adjust up or down as needed.

GVA Yes right now its on an outside wall, but the house is pretty air tight, and its about 40 outside so not very cold. Do you have an outside air source?

freebird77 said:
GVA Yes right now its on an outside wall, but the house is pretty air tight, and its about 40 outside so not very cold. Do you have an outside air source?
No I don't have outside air
The on an outside wall thing will just send a different reading to your stove than if it were on an inside wall.
Firejumper is correct about the rest..

Status
Not open for further replies.