harman p61 pellet feed system took a dump on me

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ad356

Dec 25, 2009
north java, ny
well right now im not very happy. i bought this stove about a month ago and i already have an issue. i guess i will see how well the dealer services my stove!!! i work up at 4am to some loud squeaking sound coming from the stove. i came downstairs and removed the back panels, it was coming from the auger feed assembly. i took an oil can and lightly oiled the bearings, noise did not go away (i wouldnt have messed with it but it was 4am with outside temp of 0, i wanted heat). the noise didnt go away and eventually the auger feed motor stopped working. im calling the dealer tomorrow, he assured me stove was sold with a full 5 year warranty. i need him to fix this asap. i ended up turning on the emergency heat, my nasty old POS gas furance that i keep functional just in case something like this should happen(it shouldnt, in my opinion). i was fairly happy with the harman until now, it has amazing heat output when its working. at the moment im a pretty dis-satisfied customer. that US stove 5510 might have been a loud piece of junk but at least that cheap piece of junk never left me in the cold. hopefully that nasty old gas furance will keep up, its not the best unit but it works. (its an old oil burner converted over to natural gas........ it really is junk but in an emergency it works)

that auger squeal is common on Harmans, most times it's caused by carbon build up near or in the auger tube. To solve, a few things work well, scrape out carbon build up around tube, or take out all pellets and vac out slide plate in hopper and at that time puff in some powerd graphite, also you could puff graphite onto your auger motor itself. The sound will take a few min. to go away, but after all that it will. With mine I think pellet brand can cause this, this year I'm burning only Cubex and have had no squeak yet.

My guess is an obstruction in the auger tube. Nut, bolt, tramp metal, etc.

I feel your pain. After all that it stopped working. Good luck on the service call, lets us know how you make out.. Also check on that warranty in the owners manual...

Status
Not open for further replies.