harman p61 vs XXV

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AZ23

Feb 19, 2014
canada
Are these two equally efficient. I know one is 61,000 and one is 50,000 BTU's -

one is a little fancier but quieter and cast iron- price difference isn't much so I wonder which is better long term.

Have you visited harman.com? They list "efficiency" ratings for all their stoves.

Is pull it up for you but I'm on mobile.

The 61A is a workhorse...but it also looks like a workhorse, not a show pony. Both great stoves, but just slightly different balances of form & function between them.

Ironically my wife did not like the XXV for its looks. She wanted the P68 looking stove as she felt it looked like it belongs in our 1880's home. I thought surely she would go for the more ornate stove. She liked the P68 plain look. She didn't even want to dress it up with the trim. Go figure.

Our P61A with some fancy trim and a Huge Ash Pan...
also from what I understand, the P series are the easiest to clean and maintain.

Attachments

• IMG_1788.JPG
    IMG_1788.JPG
    168.5 KB · Views: 234
Ironically my wife did not like the XXV for its looks. She wanted the P68 looking stove as she felt it looked like it belongs in our 1880's home. I thought surely she would go for the more ornate stove. She liked the P68 plain look. She didn't even want to dress it up with the trim. Go figure.

My wife was the same. Flat black beauty.

My wife doesn't care, she's more about the heat. She thinks we should go with the p61 and be done with it but I keep thinking about the cast iron xxv and if it's quieter

Our P61A with some fancy trim and a Huge Ash Pan...
also from what I understand, the P series are the easiest to clean and maintain.

X2, The P-Series (P61a-2) wins hands down in our house for cooking and cleaning! More heat with less toil!

See my 3 Harmys pics below. The 183,000 BTU brothers! We like the newer black door with nickel trim and a nice ash door scenic tile! We put 2 in with Selkirk DT and a vacuum cleanout for even faster exhaust vent cleaning! So far this winter I spent probably a whole hour in total cleaning them! The hopper extension means it never runs out of pellets before I get to refill it!

Attachments

• HarmanP61aBasement.JPG
    HarmanP61aBasement.JPG
    120.3 KB · Views: 220
  • HarmanP61a-2--Workshop.JPG
    HarmanP61a-2--Workshop.JPG
    238.2 KB · Views: 192
  • HarmanP61aShed.JPG
    HarmanP61aShed.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
I know the p61 will heat the best- but a lot of people have them in basements or in larger rooms. I am putting mine in a family room that's about 12 by 22- which has a doorway and a small opening in the wall leading to the main foyer upstairs- so heat does move out - but a lot stays in the room obviously.

I would have gone with the 61/68 but my dealer said it was over kill and both the Boss and I like the looks of the XXV and by the complements I get for company and the heat we have gotten Id have to say we made the right choice for us

Go with the xxv. If it is going to be in your family room it's looks will add to your space.

The xxv looks less industrial and personally a better looking stove.

How much area are you heating?

Reactions: Clueless Amy
It's a split entry style home 2600 sq feet total. I know it wouldn't heat every part of the house but I am happy if it does the family room and basement area and then heat moves upstairs to the kitchen and living room.

The family room is only about 12 x 22, so it's not a massive room.

We considered the looks since our stove is in the family room, but ultimately performance won out. I also wanted to use the stove to heat the whole house. P61 doesn't look half bad. Might get the trim kit to dress it up a little.

X2, The P-Series (P61a-2) wins hands down in our house for cooking and cleaning! More heat with less toil!

See my 3 Harmys pics below. The 183,000 BTU brothers! We like the newer black door with nickel trim and a nice ash door scenic tile! We put 2 in with Selkirk DT and a vacuum cleanout for even faster exhaust vent cleaning! So far this winter I spent probably a whole hour in total cleaning them! The hopper extension means it never runs out of pellets before I get to refill it!
Love the 183,000 btu bros!

How are you planning on moving the heat around? If you're counting on it naturally drafting through a doorway I wouldn't expect much heat transfer out of the family room. Xxv might be the way to go if you don't have a good way of getting the heat out if the family room.

Going to put a ceiling fan by the foyer to move some heat and I have one of those small whisper fans in the room too.

I don't see the efficiency ratings of either stove on the harman site, But I do see that the p61 heats up to 3000+ square feet and the xxv says 2300

The XXV is rated at 76%. It is somewhat out of sight. The number is posted in the XXV brochure under the downloads tab. I couldn't find something for the P61 though, but I'm sure it isnt much different.

If you like the P61, then go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.