Harman P61A auto ignite doesn't work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ted Harrison

Oct 24, 2013
Dellroy, Ohio
I've got a Harman P61A that's about 10 or 11 years old. I just replaced the igniter because of no ignition, I've done this before. I still have no ignition. I took it apart again and checked the continuity on the new ignitor and it is fine. I have auger feed and combustion blower but no igniter. After running a cycle the igniter is still stone cold. I'm starting to think it's a problem with the circuit board not sending power to it but before I jump and buy one I would really appreciate any insight I can get. Thanks alot in advance.

This is right out of the Harman troubleshooting guide. It's a little tough to read, because of the way it copy/pasted, but...Hope it helps...

Stove will not light in Auto. Faulty room sensing probe Verify room sensing probe is installed correctly. Check for a four blink status.
All motors run in test mode. The stove will not light in auto and room temp with a four blink status error.
continued Check for loose room sensing probe connections. Install or replace room
sensing probe.
Faulty ESP probe Replace ESP probe
Faulty igniter Check if igniter is getting hot when igniter light on the control is lit. The igniter
is wired through the draft differential switch. Check if voltage is present to
the igniter when the igniter light on the control is lit. Check the resistance of
the igniter. Resistance should be 50 - 54 ohms. Replace igniter if needed.
Faulty draft differential switch The draft differential switch will not close allowing voltage to the igniter if the
draft is less than -.17"W.C. If the draft readings are correct and jumping the
differential switch allows the stove to light, check for obstruction in the
differential switch tube. Replace differential switch if needed.
Obstruction in feeding system Check for obstruction in hopper, feeder and auger tube.
Faulty wiring Inspect / Repair wiring from the control to the igniter.
Faulty circuit board If everything above checks out correctly and no voltage to the igniter,
replace the circuit board.
Erratic operation. Power at the outlet Verify proper voltage and polarity at the outlet
Faulty wiring Inspect / Repair stove wiring
Faulty room sensing probe Check connections and location of room sensing probe. Replace room
sensing probe if needed.
Faulty circuit board Verify proper control operation. Replace circuit board if not controlling
properly.

Reactions: bmanMA and rayttt
Easy things first. No vacuum, because the door gaskets are worn or compressed. The bill test on your door gaskets. Check the connection to the room temp probe line. Things bump and break etc.

This is right out of the Harman troubleshooting guide. It's a little tough to read, because of the way it copy/pasted, but...Hope it helps...

Stove will not light in Auto. Faulty room sensing probe Verify room sensing probe is installed correctly. Check for a four blink status.
All motors run in test mode. The stove will not light in auto and room temp with a four blink status error.
continued Check for loose room sensing probe connections. Install or replace room
sensing probe.
Faulty igniter Check if igniter is getting hot when igniter light on the control is lit. The igniter
is wired through the draft differential switch. Check if voltage is present to
the igniter when the igniter light on the control is lit. Check the resistance of
the igniter. Resistance should be 50 - 54 ohms. Replace igniter if needed.
Faulty draft differential switch The draft differential switch will not close allowing voltage to the igniter if the
draft is less than -.17"W.C. If the draft readings are correct and jumping the
differential switch allows the stove to light, check for obstruction in the
differential switch tube. Replace differential switch if needed.
Obstruction in feeding system Check for obstruction in hopper, feeder and auger tube.
Faulty wiring Inspect / Repair wiring from the control to the igniter.
Faulty circuit board If everything above checks out correctly and no voltage to the igniter,
replace the circuit board.
Erratic operation. Power at the outlet Verify proper voltage and polarity at the outlet
Faulty wiring Inspect / Repair stove wiring
Faulty room sensing probe Check connections and location of room sensing probe. Replace room
sensing probe if needed.
Faulty circuit board Verify proper control operation. Replace circuit board if not controlling
properly.
Thanks Daksy. I'll check all that out and see what happens.

I truly thank you guys for all your input. Thank you Daksy for that troubleshooting manual. My owners manual was no where near that concise, I'm going to save that one, and thank you Bioburner, it had been awhile since I replaced my door gasket, it was starting to get really smushed, your suggestion prompted me to do that. I found my trouble quite by accident. Everything was checking out properly, motors, auger no flashing lights. I kept being drawn back to my new igniter. I was getting ready to take it out again and bench test it when I saw one of the feed wires wasn't connected properly. I redid that and now she fires up like she used to. Stupid me. Anyways, thanks again. I really appreciated all the help.

Sounds like your ready for winter now.

Status
Not open for further replies.