Harman P61A Ignitor replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyray

Minister of Fire
anyone recommend where to get the replacement?
I see after market to OEM and prices all over the place.. 29.00 to 107.00 at Amazon and other places.
and,
should I get all the cradle hardware the ignitor is incased in...
or just the ignitor...?
Mine is working fine but concidering getting a spare cause at sometime it will prob croak.

Just get the igniter. Google them and buy the best deal you can find. Can't remember the name of the place I bought my extras but will look and get back. IIRC you want the 15 fin but it could be different on the 61's and Ebay or Amazon might have the best deals..... Main thing is the red or black wired igniter to match up to your board. I could be thinking wrong since it has been awhile. I'm sure there are plenty of threads on this here.

I might have gotten mine from pellet stove parts for less?? I have a new back up control board, igniter, and other parts. Especially for the older PC45 which. Still need to add some parts for the P68 to have all the back ups. Much better to take it on the chin in advance instead of waiting for parts delivery in the cold. Look it up but I think the PC45, P61, and the P68 all use the same igniters.

Maybe someone who knows for sure will chime in. I think I paid $50 something bucks for mine and it may be an aftermarket but will work. i remember looking around a lot and prices were all over the place as with other pellet stove parts depending where you buy them from.

Good Luck and let me know what you figure out.

dealer price is usually around $110. You should be able to find a little cheaper online. Get a Harman igniter. They will last much longer, it is worth the extra to have the correct part. The PC45 takes a different igniter than the rest of the Harman stoves. It was designed to ignite corn with no addition of pellets

Reactions: bags
I got a spare last year for around $60. I thought it was from Amazon, but I don't see it in my past deliveries. Must have been either Mountain View Hearth (Stove-parts-unlimited) or Pellet-Stove-parts-4less, or some such. They all pretty much carry what appears to be the same 15 fin replacement unit, so I know I shopped by price (including shipping).

There shouldn't be any 13 fins still hanging around. If you find one, don't buy it. 15 fin is now the standard. My spare was purchased at the dealer for $70.

Reactions: Tonyray
Now I feel left out, I don't have a spare going now burning into the 4th season, Hmmm.

I can't imagine this a real Harman but the Best deal I've seen is at Amazon and it says it's "by Harman", part number ends in 200 and it lists it as the upgraded 15 fin version: $43 plus $4.99 shipping. The one that is on Amazon Prime with free shipping, I believe is $119.

Then there is the Harman/Tempco 2 pack for $70 with free shipping.

Last edited:
Reactions: bogieb
Now I feel left out, I don't have a spare going now burning into the 4th season, Hmmm.

Only reason I have a spare is I thought the igniter on the P61a was going as it was taking forever to light last winter and once it didn't. I believe it was into the deep of winter so I just switched it over to manual for a couple of weeks. I got the igniter and then the next time I cleaned the stove I was going to put it in. I accidently knocked the OAK off the back, for some reason I looked in and saw a big piece of plastic wrap in there choking off the air flow (I had upgraded to 3" OAK so it was operator error - although that was in there for several months before it moved into position to cause issues). Removed that, left the old igniter in, and haven't had an issue since.

Reactions: alternativeheat
It didn't say anything about Hot Rod, it says "by Harman". I can't link it because it will take you to my Prime page. I can link you to the link that got me there though:

I was just providing an alternate choice..
My link should fit most Harmans.

Dan

Reactions: alternativeheat
I was just providing an alternate choice..
My link should fit most Harmans.

Dan
I get it , well people can do their own comparison shopping via links now !

Only reason I have a spare is I thought the igniter on the P61a was going as it was taking forever to light last winter and once it didn't. I believe it was into the deep of winter so I just switched it over to manual for a couple of weeks. I got the igniter and then the next time I cleaned the stove I was going to put it in. I accidently knocked the OAK off the back, for some reason I looked in and saw a big piece of plastic wrap in there choking off the air flow (I had upgraded to 3" OAK so it was operator error - although that was in there for several months before it moved into position to cause issues). Removed that, left the old igniter in, and haven't had an issue since.
If my P61 is slow starting I can pretty well figure I need to clean the ash out of the igniter compartment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mt Bob and bogieb
If my P61 is slow starting, I can pretty well figure I need to clean the ash out of the igniter compartment.

Just curious for 61 or 68 owners.
On a cold start, have you ever timed how long it takes
from pushing the start button to actual flame?

Dan

Dan
my time is all over the place/// depends on how much ash is in the burnpot, un-burned pellets etc..
have seen short time and other times over 10 minutes from start...have a P61 so it takes a bit of time to fill the big burn pot with pellets.

There shouldn't be any 13 fins still hanging around. If you find one, don't buy it. 15 fin is now the standard. My spare was purchased at the dealer for $70.
yes. deff 15 fin.. I just want to be sure the lenght of wire is long enough.

Dan
My 61 is generally about 5 minutes.

If my P61 is slow starting, I can pretty well figure I need to clean the ash out of the igniter compartment.

That is what I figured too, but that didn't fix the issue during a regular cleaning, that is why I figured it was the igniter. If I hadn't been behind the stove looking at wiring trying to figure out how to replace the igniter, I never would have knowcked the OAK off the pipe and found the real issue. Either way, ash in the igniter chamber or obstruction in the OAK, it all turns out to be restricted air flow.

Dan

When clean, I've had it take up to 8 minutes, or as little as 3. Some of that is probably due to quality of pellets. Other times it is because a watched pot never boils :p

I've never timed the start up of my P61 but sometimes it has a fairly full pot when it lights off and other times not so full. Basically I've had the stove go into start up as I came down the stairs in the morning, I go out and put the coffee on as a routine ( I wake up thinking coffee in the morning , it's the first thing I do bar none ! When I wake up and if I think coffee, there is no going back to sleep at that point, even if it's 3 am). Go in brush teeth etc. Come out the stove is going and the coffee is just finishing up. So about that long !

I find, that if I leave a little ash remaining in the burn pot, my next ignition is quick....So when I turn the stove off, I always pull out about 75% of the ashes. I leave a small row right above the igniter area, and fresh pellets behind the ash.

I find, that if I leave a little ash remaining in the burn pot, my next ignition is quick....So when I turn the stove off, I always pull out about 75% of the ashes. I leave a small row right above the igniter area, and fresh pellets behind the ash.
hmm.. why would that speed up ignition?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think small amounts of not completely burned ash/wood particles ignite quicker with the heated air than fully unburned compressed pellets?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think small amounts of not completely burned ash/wood particles ignite quicker with the heated air than fully unburned compressed pellets?
yeah.. could be...
pellet theory 101 goes on.......

Reactions: Cory S

I think it's the carbon bits or even chunks, they probably glow with the igniter heat. But I've encountered this as well. Although right now we are stuck in some sort of temperature funk with a solid west wind and my stove was going nuts starting and stopping many time per day. No sooner starting up and run a cycle, then shut down. About the time it got fully shut down, the probe was calling for heat again. So last night I ran it in stove temp auto, miscalculated and the house was 76 deg when I got up this morning. Right now it's in room Temp Manual and doing fine, I'll leave it there till this weather clears out of here and put it back in Auto then.

I think it's the carbon bits or even chunks, they probably glow with the igniter heat. But I've encountered this as well. Although right now we are stuck in some sort of temperature funk with a solid west wind and my stove was going nuts starting and stopping many time per day. No sooner starting up and run a cycle, then shut down. About the time it got fully shut down, the probe was calling for heat again. So last night I ran it in stove temp auto, miscalculated and the house was 76 deg when I got up this morning. Right now it's in room Temp Manual and doing fine, I'll leave it there till this weather clears out of here and put it back in Auto then.
we have always been back/forth about room auto or manual but I do believe that when in room auto,[ a time for auto and a time for manual are different of course]
it appears that the stove will aqueeze out every last bit of heat that it has via the dist fan as opposed to manual where at times the blower fan shuts off sometimes for quite a long period.sending lots of heat up the exhaust pipe.. not expert here but an observation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.