Harman p61a installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wwburning

Jan 26, 2008
West Warwick RI
Today was the install day for my p61a. Everything went well. Need to silicone up 1 joint as there is some smoke from it on startup. The installer allowed me to paint the pellet pipe after he lined and measured everything up. Stove had a slight rattle from distribution blower, installer adjusted and it's gone. Here's one question though. The stove came with the log set. Do you remove the firebricks and put the logs in their place? Installer wasn't sure as this was his first p61. He had done mostly the accentra and xxv. I'll be posting pics soon.

Yes youll have to take the bricks out. I saved mine in case the logs wear out. Dont know if they do or not. I love the P61, although we didnt get the auto ignite, and dont miss it ,so far anyway. The logs have a little notch in them that sets them in place. Youll see. Good luck with the new stove, and welcome from Pa.

freebird77 said:
I saved mine in case the logs wear out. Dont know if they do or not.

They do wear out, very easily in fact. Mine (on my P68) started falling apart with about 1 year of use. They are very fragile. With the design of these stoves, the log kits don't really look all that great anyway. I'm not going to bother buying another set.

freebird77 said:
If I only get a year out of them after what we paid, Ill put the bricks back in and keep them there.

That's what I did. I've seen other stoves where the log kits make the stove look more like a real fire, but the design of the Harmans don't lend themselves to that.

I also always wondered if the log kit hindered performance a little. The fire is deflected a little by the knobs (he he I said knob) on the logs. You just have to think that this keeps the fire from heating the exchanger as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.