Harman P68 carbon build up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get 14% moisture corn delivered to me for $4 a bushel, but I'll need to clean it for burning. To me it's a no brainer to burn straight pellets at less than that for 40 pound bags, am I wrong?

I can get 14% moisture corn delivered to me for $4 a bushel, but I'll need to clean it for burning. To me it's a no brainer to burn straight pellets at less than that for 40 pound bags, am I wrong?

You really want 12% not 14% and no techinically you are wrong because corn delivers substantially more BTU's per pound burned than pellets. I believe that corn provides about 30% more btu per weight volume than the best pellets do.

The price I stated earlier is for pre cleaned corn for feed, delivered. My corn is magnetically cleaned and run over screens. You don't want to give your steers hardware disease...or your stove for that matter.

Far as I can see, the mechanics are the same but is the venting up to a coal fire? Not sure about that.
Well with coal really the best venting is masonry, IMO ( I have no idea what today's code is but back in my install days masonry was accepted). I was good for a connector pipe even 4 years or so when I burned coal ( pitted with pin holes, but was just galvanized or black pipe not stainless). Funny I used the same damper for about 15 years then replaced that, mostly cause the spring and shaft went gitty wonkers). In 35 years I burned out 1 shaker grate. But the masonry was always fine. The stoves structure was fine when we pulled it out last year, even baffles and such. I built it tough though, all 1/4" plate, the baffles were 1/2", the doors 3/16" with 1" angle supports in side the stove. It would have burned another 35 years ! I had a 1/2" cook top laid on top. I always wanted to cut the top out and weld that piece on as the top to the stove but never got around to it. We raised 5 kids with that stove burning on the hearth, one of the best things I ever made.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harmanizer
You really want 12% not 14% and no techinically you are wrong because corn delivers substantially more BTU's per pound burned than pellets. I believe that corn provides about 30% more btu per weight volume than the best pellets do.

The price I stated earlier is for pre cleaned corn for feed, delivered. My corn is magnetically cleaned and run over screens. You don't want to give your steers hardware disease...or your stove for that matter.
It is what it is, I think we have one farm here on Cape Cod, run by the county prison and bunch of animal owners and that's about it. I think two feed stores, this one we go to in town for bird seed and that is more reasonably priced than Walmart by half the cost. So I priced the corn and quickly dropped that idea.

TSC has corn $8 a bushell/60 lbs. Might be worth getting a bag just to see if it will eliminate my speed bump. I'd like to see what a Harman works like without a speed bump.

Reactions: alternativeheat
I need to pull a load of shelled corn in my hopper bottom up there and sell it......

I need to pull a load of shelled corn in my hopper bottom up there and sell it......
Good luck, don't forget fuel , tolls and food costs round trip.

$4 a bushel, but I'll need to clean it for burning. To me it's a no brainer to burn straight pellets at less than that for 40 pound bags
Where are you getting pellets for $4. Corn is a bushel at 56 pounds per bushel at $3.60 is 6.5 cent per pound verses pellets at a dime a pound for a $4/40 bag close to a one third more $$$

Where are you getting pellets for $4. Corn is a bushel at 56 pounds per bushel at $3.60 is 6.5 cent per pound verses pellets at a dime a pound for a $4/40 bag close to a one third more $$$
The last I bought were $217.00 a pallet of 60 bags so $3.83 per bag with tax. It'll cost more for 12% corn so...................

With those prices your going to be the envy of the site but as you said that was the last time you bought. What's the now price? I am cleaning up a pallet that was just over $3/bag. Energy prices will be interesting as big O vetoed the pipe line and everyone still has last weeks memories of the Bakken rail accident. Crude dropped to $49 today

...Off thread, excuse me....... Roll on Big O.............Bohner nets to get some balls and mount an override....

I haven't paid $217 a pallet for years.

With those prices your going to be the envy of the site but as you said that was the last time you bought. What's the now price? I am cleaning up a pallet that was just over $3/bag. Energy prices will be interesting as big O vetoed the pipe line and everyone still has last weeks memories of the Bakken rail accident. Crude dropped to $49 today
Just called, they are now $222.00 + tax a pallet of 60 so have went up $5.00 since fall.

STill that's for you said a 60 bag pallet. Most of us get a true ton of 50 bags.

Lets figure tax at 6% so lets add another 12 bucks give ot take.

There seems to be some that think I'm being less than truthful on the price or number of bags per pallet. I have no reason to lie, nuff said.

I've never seen pellets retail for that price around here and I've been roasting pellets and corn for over 30 years now. I'd say there would be a bit more credence to your claim if you 1. Posted a receipt showing that price or 2. Showed some other irrefutable evidence that you did purchase them for that amount.

Talk is cheap on the net and if I believed everything that came down the pike, I'd be pretty gullible. I'm not.

I know of a mill in south IN that has cheap pellets for pickup at the mill. After they get hauled and moved things go up a lot!

My prerequisite is strictly retail in as much as the poster said he paid tax on them.

I've never seen pellets retail for that price around here and I've been roasting pellets and corn for over 30 years now. I'd say there would be a bit more credence to your claim if you 1. Posted a receipt showing that price or 2. Showed some other irrefutable evidence that you did purchase them for that amount.

Talk is cheap on the net and if I believed everything that came down the pike, I'd be pretty gullible. I'm not.
PM sent.

Status
Not open for further replies.