Harman P68 clicking sound?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman87

Sep 21, 2014
New Hampshire
Hey, this is my Harman's first season. Every time it begins to feed it makes a clicking sound. Is this normal behavior?

I know that it's going to make noises but it's under warranty so if theirs an issue now is the time to take care of it.

Thanks!

Is the noise constant or just as its warming up.my accentra makes a clicking noise just before it feeds pellets when it is warming up but after it runs for a while it stops

Mine does make some noise depending on what operation it's doing and it is brand new. Some do sound a little funky at times but everything is working as it should. Manufacture date on my box was 9/10/14 and I installed it 10/18/14. When mine kicks on here shortly I will listen closely. I have heard a couple of misc, pops / clicking sounds and am pretty sure it was busting a wedged pellet in the auger. We are both new here and both have P68's so we can work on this together.

Reactions: Jman87
Happens on low feed rate?

On my P61a I get that pop that happens when the slide plate cuts through a pellet. First time I heard I was like_g. Once I learned that it's normal I just ignore it.

Reactions: bags
And the P61's are basically the same machines. Only 7,000 BTU's difference. Probably much of the same parts. Not sure though. Many of the same characteristics and mannerisms too.

Would like to help as well, but need more details. Does it happen only at startup time or even after the stove has been running for a while? What does running it on low mean? Low feed rate, stove temp, etc? Please be much more specific. My stove makes a clicking sound at startup time, just after the flame starts to really burn and produce decent heat, and very rapidly heats up the cold metal. The sound lasts for a couple minutes then stops - this is completely normal. Is that what you are hearing, or is it something completely different, like coming from the auger / feed mechanism? Only other thing I can think of is an occasional pellet getting crushed by the auger, but that's more of a grinding noise (very pronounced, to the point it will freak you out the first few times you hear it) and should be a relatively rare occurrence.

Reactions: bags
Reactions: JDenyer236
Mine just kicked on and I did not hear what you are describing but I have heard it a couple of times in the past. All I am hearing is the jingling of the pellets. I keep mine on feed rate 4 and room temp mode auto ignite at present. That has eliminated all of my problems I was having which were few to begin with. Pellet use is about the same as when I had the feed rate down on 1. Give that a try.

Your stove being new is under warranty for I believe at least two years parts and labor for most parts. Run it, if something is wrong it will break soon and then it's the dealers problem. This is one of the benefits of buying new:cool:

Well.. I waited more than half a day to update. Whatever it was isn't doing it anymore so it must have a mind of its own! I'm going to let it be for now. It must be a Harman thing lol :)

Thanks for all the help! The only way I can describe it is that it sounds like a pop every time it's done feeding and it's coming from the back behind the shields. It only happened when it was warming up and it was on constant burn with feed rate set at 2. I turned it to 4, it works better now.

Thanks again!

Well.. I waited more than half a day to update. Whatever it was isn't doing it anymore so it must have a mind of its own! I'm going to let it be for now. It must be a Harman thing lol :)

Thanks for all the help! The only way I can describe it is that it sounds like a pop every time it's done feeding and it's coming from the back behind the shields. It only happened when it was warming up and it was on constant burn with feed rate set at 2. I turned it to 4, it works better now.

Thanks again!
Feed rate is suppose to be set at 4 wouldn't change from that unless you had a problem

Reactions: JDenyer236
Status
Not open for further replies.