HARMAN P68 CORN ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't have the P68, but have burned a 60/40 pellets to corn mix in both my stoves at times.

Corn prices are so crazy high around here I am back to burning pellets only.

Buy what? A P68 or corn?
If you're buying corn, how will you store it so you don't get rats?
Corn has to be shelled & very dry in order to burn it. You can buy it pre-shelled,
but how will you check the moisture content?

snodays700 said:
Im wondering where to get cor to buy to burn, in my p68

& I'm wondering WHY you want to do that. Dirty biofuel stoves don't perform well
& undried corn is about dirty a biofuel as you can get.
Stick with the pellets & stay safe & happy...

You should be able to buy corn in Me I bought a Bixby from some people there and that was all they burned. If I look around I should be able to come up with a address or town
Most of the corn now days is shelled when it is harvested and if needed it is dried down before it is stored. You can store it in wagons or a bin very easily. If you have rodents well get rid of them.
If your corn is 13-15% moisture I find it puts out more heat then pellets. You will have some more ash but not bad. Most of the problems people have burning corn is from trying to burn corn in a pellet stove rather then a multi-fuel stove. Stove dealers will say you can burn a blend of pellets and corn in a pellet stove but if you are going to do that you should get a multi-fuel stove.

Check the local co ops or farmers with cattle. The corn your looking for is the same as what they feed cows. Unfortunately corn prices are kind of high right now. If they have field corn don't bother with that stuff.

One other thing is the vent pipe must be rated for corn or multifuel!

I tried burning the corn, but my hands started to hurt from running the can opener to open all the cans.......so, went back to pellets....

Lousyweather said:
I tried burning the corn, but my hands started to hurt from running the can opener to open all the cans.......so, went back to pellets....

Did the liquid in the cans cause any problems to the stove?

Stick with pellets unless you are a farmer. Corn is almost double the price of pellets right now.

Eric

Lousyweather said:

Mighht be easier to open those little bags of frozen corn. Worth a try.

most feed stores in ME (Knight's, Paris, Agway) have some corn you can try.. you want dried, shelled corn. You won't dig the clinkers, however. PC45 chews 'em up like a champ,,, P68 not so much.

DAKSY said:
snodays700 said:

& I'm wondering WHY you want to do that. Dirty biofuel stoves don't perform well

Corn performs very well. Preferred over pellets for me.

harttj said:
DAKSY said:
snodays700 said:

how much is corn in Ohio, harttj? Do you buy it bagged or bulk?

Lousyweather said:
harttj said:
DAKSY said:
snodays700 said:

how much is corn in Ohio, harttj? Do you buy it bagged or bulk?

230 bulk right now. Gone up quite a bit since start of season. About 130 last August.

Status
Not open for further replies.