harman p68 flames up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shell

Feb 1, 2013
Ohio
Hello, this is my first year with a pellet stove. It has been running fine til now, on stove temp it has never been this hot. I have it on 1 and the flames are high and on the glass and the house is too warm. It will not go to a cooler temp as before. So I turned it to stove temp to see if this would help. Now I am getting a back puffing of flames and a sound and a banging noise. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with the stove.

The sounds you are describing could be independent or related things. But I will start with the flame height and the low feed settings you have tried. It sounds like the stove is feeding to many pellets but it could be air flow related also. Does the auger run continuously non stop?

Hello, this is my first year with a pellet stove. It has been running fine til now, on stove temp it has never been this hot. I have it on 1 and the flames are high and on the glass and the house is too warm. It will not go to a cooler temp as before. So I turned it to stove temp to see if this would help. Now I am getting a back puffing of flames and a sound and a banging noise. Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong with the stove.

You said you were in stove temp and then switched to stove temp. Which mode are you in?

The sounds you are describing could be independent or related things. But I will start with the flame height and the low feed settings you have tried. It sounds like the stove is feeding to many pellets but it could be air flow related also. Does the auger run continuously non stop?
No it does not run all the time. It has been in stove temp for awhile now, at 3 feed setting. I cleaned the stove-ash pan, vaccumed it. It just started this. I just checked the door and ash door to make sure they were secure, and there are black whole pellets in the pan.

I changed from stove temp to room temp to cool it down in here.

Defiantly sounds like an airflow problem. When is the last time the stove was completely cleaned? Meaning the entire exhaust path inside the stove and the venting?

Defiantly sounds like an airflow problem. When is the last time the stove was completely cleaned? Meaning the entire exhaust path inside the stove and the venting?
e
It was just purchased new in September and has not had a complete cleaning, I have went thru 2-21/2 tons so far.

2.5 tons no cleaning. Holy hell.

Most burn issues are usually corrected after a complete cleaning. There is a good chance you have a restriction in the exhaust path of the stove or in the venting. Clean the stove stem to stern and let us know the outcome.

Probe is probably to dirty to get an accurate temp

1 1/2 tons past a vent system cleaning at least. It can't breath properly. Read your manual for cleaning recommendations.

An air flow restriction would trap excessive heat in the stove as well.
I am burning Country Boy White Lighting pellets, and have a flame that is green on the bottom also. If that make a difference. Could me vaccuming have cause this problem?

Unlikely. If any thing that vacuum needs to visit the innards of your stove. As suggested read your owners manual and perform the cleaning. Don't forget the venting. Some pellets burn dirtier than others . Excessive ash can accumulate in the areas your vacuum has not yet visited.

Unlikely. If any thing that vacuum needs to visit the innards of your stove. As suggested read your owners manual and perform the cleaning. Don't forget the venting. Some pellets burn dirtier than others . Excessive ash can accumulate in the areas your vacuum has not yet visited.
Ok thanks for your help. I will post after my vaccum makes it's visit.

Ok thanks for your help. I will post after my vaccum makes it's visit.
Update on my p68....I of course did not read the manual correctly, what a mess I had. I read on one page inspect exhaust venting once every year, and skipped the blower cover all together! After taking the blower cover off the exhaust venting was completely blocked to the size of a pencil and the probe was covered. My vaccum found the innards as someone had posted ! Lastly I was wiping the glass down and I noticed that the top load door pin was up and that the paint on the front of the stove was off, hammered that back down. I just can't believe the exhaust fill up so quickly. Well thanks for your help, the stove is happy now and so am I.

Nice. What kind of pellets you running

Nice. What kind of pellets you running
Country boy white lightning, almost done with them and I have 2 tons of Sommersets for the rest of the year.

Update on my p68....I of course did not read the manual correctly, what a mess I had. I read on one page inspect exhaust venting once every year, and skipped the blower cover all together! After taking the blower cover off the exhaust venting was completely blocked to the size of a pencil and the probe was covered. My vaccum found the innards as someone had posted ! Lastly I was wiping the glass down and I noticed that the top load door pin was up and that the paint on the front of the stove was off, hammered that back down. I just can't believe the exhaust fill up so quickly. Well thanks for your help, the stove is happy now and so am I.

Great to hear you found the issue and your running well again!

It's been mentioned that some pellets will produce more ash than others, adjust the cleaning schedule accordingly. Also as the airflow decreases the burn gets dirtier which can compound the ash production. It sounds like that combustion fan area wasn't visited for a few seasons so no big surprise at what you found there. Visit the "innards" more often and your stove will operate at potential all season.

Great to hear you found the issue and your running well again!

It's been mentioned that some pellets will produce more ash than others, adjust the cleaning schedule accordingly. Also as the airflow decreases the burn gets dirtier which can compound the ash production. It sounds like that combustion fan area wasn't visited for a few seasons so no big surprise at what you found there. Visit the "innards" more often and your stove will operate at potential all season.
This is the first season with the stove, it was brand new and installed in September. Thats why I was surprised at the ash in the exhaust pipe. I will visit the innards more often lol

Some stoves handle ash better than others. How the stove is burned makes a difference, low will plug it up eventually.

Glad you figured it out. 2.5 tons and no cleaning is a mean and angry stove. Clean stove is a happy stove !
Stay Warm ! !

Status
Not open for further replies.