Harman P68. Is this normal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to hear they got it going .... pics or it didn't happen;)

PS What did they use to clean it up?

Just a simple vacuum and a wire brush for the vent.

Deric:
That sure was a job to tackle, for anyone with or without training. Hope you can share, who clean
the stove.

They we called Midtown Chimney Sweeps. I guess they are a national gig and happened to have a franchise in my town. The reason the Oxi Fresh Carpet Cleaners set up the appointment was because apparently both companies share a call center and employees answer phones for both companies interchangeably.

Thanks
Ed
Hopefully you watched and learned how to take things apart so next time you will know how to do it. The exh should be your first thing to clean if you start having problems. Normally a Harman is simple maintenance after you get used to it. The preferred method is clean it in the spring and plug the exh so bird nest etc can't cause problems Then I usually spray cheap cooking oil inside to minimize rust over the summer. There is a metal box in the back of the stove with a wing nut on the side. This contains a mechanism that slides a metal slide open and shut on the bottom of the hopper. Fines will accumulate inside that box so if you remove the wing nut then a cover will come loose so you can clean the fines out. This usually doesn't have to be done every couple years but a lot of people don't know about it. The ESP probe should have been removed and cleaned as well. I think both of these things should be in your manual.

Yep, i pretty much cleaned all that stuff before he showed up. If I had known about the intake flap I would have figured that out soon enough. But its good to have it cleaned by a pro the first time. I can take it from here. I'll likely clean it more than most, I have a thing about cleaning stuff haha

Status
Not open for further replies.