Harman P68 - leaky tpipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BobZW

Dec 5, 2015
PA
I purchased a home in the summer with a p68 in it. Just fired it up having it serviced and noticed smoke smell. Went ahead and sealed all the pipe. Smoke smell still existed. When I fired it up I used a flash light and noticed it was coming directly out of the bottom of the t pipe. Why is this and how do I fix this?

Wood pellet is totally new to me and apologize in advance if I'm not using the correct terms.

The bottom of this pipe... 42aa8c58858bd93159c1272703ca4588.jpg

I wrap mine with foil tape.

That T will leak all over. I wrap mine up well with Silicone tape. Silicone is easy to remove when you need to clean out. Silver tape will also work, just has left a mess on my pipes if removal is needed.

Clean%20Out%20T_zpssqmyfbbc.jpg

Bob, Welcome! Once you work the bugs out you will like that P68 a lot. Seal up the joints and you'll be good to go.

I had the same problem with my xxv. I used the silicone tape thanks to help from you guys on the forum and it has worked great ever sense. Love the XXV!!!

Is it just my eyes or is the cap missing?
Good question, easy enough to find out, shove his hand in there. But I'd think if there was no cap it would be more than a leak that took a light to see it LOL !

Reactions: bogieb
Good question, easy enough to find out, shove his hand in there. But I'd think if there was no cap it would be more than a leak that took a light to see it LOL !

I only ask because i see no seam. My cap extends below the where the T ends as do every other one i have seen

If you look close eneough there are ashes on the floor. Maybe he took it off during the picture

My tee also leaked from every seam, as well as the cap. Looks like you have the perpendicular part all sealed up. Take a look at the cap... this is what I needed to do: https://www.hearth.com/talk/attachments/20150930_212748-jpg.162957/ Used my (gloved) finger to get hi-temp silicone into those gaps. I used the orange automotive stuff because that's what I had but any hi-temp stuff will work.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.