Harman p68 new stove noises??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FiredUp

May 22, 2008
central mass
Yippee! Just got my Harman p68 installed yesterday and as a newbie I have a zillion questions... but the first is: The stove seems to be running great, but every now and then it makes a sort of squealing moaning sound as pellets are added. Any ideas what may be the cause? Thanks in advance for any replies - and get ready for lots more questions!

Call the dealer...
I would suspect the auger flange loosened up and allowed the auger to cock in the tube a bit..
when the pellets push on the auger just right it is rubbing on the auger tube...
but it's just a thought. Mine did this once......

Thanks! It is kind of a metal-on-metal sound. I haven't heard it in the last several hours. If it happens again I'll give him a call.

I heard a weird sound that seemed to come from my auger once with my XXV. I haven't heard it again.

I had a weird auger noise a few times that I attributed to it encountering a long pellet or two. Definitely not a metal on metal sound, though. Switched pellet brands to one with a more consistent length and haven't heard it since.

FiredUp said:
Thanks! It is kind of a metal-on-metal sound. I haven't heard it in the last several hours. If it happens again I'll give him a call.
Most likely the slide plate, sometimes sawdust will get on one side of it and cock it and cause it to drag producing a high pitched squeel. If it comes back, empty the hopper, vacuum the slide plate and lubricate the edges with powdered graphite.

Thanks for the input everybody. Pyro, that embed worked great. The sound is very similar. What caused it and how did you correct it? BTW, now I get a kind of knocking sound on every 4th or 5th auger cycle. Not too loud, just a sort of "quiet bang." I was thinking these might be break-in noises that will clear up on their own. It's only been on for about 48 hours now. My installer recommended cleaning once a week. Maybe when I do that next Friday things will clear up??

quiet bang is probably the slideplate cutting a pellet, very common noise for a Harman

Status
Not open for further replies.