Harman P68 Pellet Stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Biffo

Jan 19, 2008
Maine
We installed the Harman P68 ourselves, and it is running great. One thing I recall from a trade show that I went to last year in Augusta, ME was that there was a guy demoing a pellet stove. He made a comment that the Pellet Stove wasted very little heat out the flu. He then proceeded to put his hand on the flu to show that he could leave his hand on it. Well, one thing is for certain is that I can't leave my hand on our flu with the P68. Is this normal?

We haven't made any adjustments in regards to draft ------ yet. From what I read, usually factory settings is sufficient. I am wandering that because the flu is hot, if I need to look into taking some draft readings and make adjustments accordingly.

Last question - can a draft meter be purchased at one of the standard hardware stores? (I.e. Lowes, Home Depot, Aubuchon)...

Thanks all in advance - Biffo

What stove was this? Sounds like a thick skinned salesman. :) I wouldn't try that with a pellet stove running on high. With the stove on the high setting, our vent was not as hot as a woodstove flue, but still hot enough to hurt one's hand.

On our p68, we have the actual flue "inside" a black exhaust pipe (so it looks sorta like a wood stove hookup) and the outside pipe is warm when the stove is not roaring hot. The outside pipe does get comfortably warm (I just went and touched it to be sure) though and I surely wouldn't want to put my hand on the actual flue pipe inside. Maybe the demo had the double pipe arrangement or maybe the P68 wasn't putting out at the max . . . Hope this helps. I think your situation is normal . . .

Hi Have the P61. I can put my hand on the pipe running verticle from the stove through the cieling with no problem. Its warm but not hot at all. Dont know if this helps

I think the key is what kind of pipe --
I can comfortably touch the PL pipe coming out of the back of my Direct vented Hastings stove. However, my Harman P61 is hooked up to standard black stove pipe tapped into a masonry chimney. When the Harman is on anything more than the very low settings the pipe is too hot to touch.
I didn't draft test it, so it is conceivable that i'm losing too much heat up he flue, but all indcations are that the stove is heating the space as it should, no complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.